itivo setting for good quality?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by shane.reid, Dec 6, 2011.

1. shane.reid

shane.reid New Member

Dec 1, 2011

Advertisements

So I'm using itivo and was using the appletv setting, but it was downgrading resolution to 960x544...

I want to maintain original resolution.. either 720p or 1080i. I then tried the quicktime 5mbps setting, but it is grainy and looks bad. Almost like there are lines in it...

What are people using as a quality setting? I'm currently using mencoder as the encoder within itivo.

2. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I'm not clear about iTiVO's capabilities, because I don't use it, because it hasn't been updated in several years. Whereas there are other, actively maintainted, alternatives discussed in this forum.

So I use kmttg to download. Then I run tivodecode to decrypt (but kmttg can do that for you automatically). Then I use handbrake (an alternative to mencoder) to transcode.

But, if mencoder is like handbrake, there's a good reason why your program is being downrezzed. The Apple TV won't display either 720p or 1080i. At least not at 30 fps.

Right now I'm looking at the HandBrake GUI, with a 1080i input file. Among the output presets are:

Apple TV 960 x 704
    Apple TV 2 1280 x 944​

HandBrake is smart enough to choose the max resolution supported by your output device. Probably mencoder is making similar choices for you.

BTW in my experience, transcoding MPEG-2 1080i -> H.264, but trying to maintain original resolution, resulted in quite large output files. And in the tests I did, I found it hard to notice a quality difference between

1080i -> 1920 wide original resolution
    1080i -> 1280 wide, e.g. Apple TV 2
    1080i -> 1024 wide, e.g. iPad​

But there were substantial size savings as you went smaller. And once you went lower rez than the iPad preset, the quality differences became more noticeable (to me anyway).

So this really isn't an iTiVo issue, more of an mencoder issue. So you should be able to find better discussions of mencoder elsewhere in cyberspace.