Issues with MRV between S2 and Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RichO, Dec 22, 2011.

1. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Ok just got the Premiere XL installed with a cable card and all is working but I am finding 2 issues with MRV:

1. The premiere can connect to my S2 but cannot find any programs on it. I have read that this issue clears itself up after it connects to the TiVo service a few times. BUT, I have also read that a Premiere unit with a cable card will NEVER be able to transfer programs from an S2.

2. Any programs I record from the local NBC OTA channel show up as copy protected on TiVo desktop. I checked the CCI byte for this channel and it's 0x00 so there should be no protection. Ironically, this is an SD channel and programs I record off the HD NBC channel do not show up as protected.

I recorded off the SD channel because I wanted to be able to transfer it to my other S2 for MRV but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Can anyone shed some light on either of these problems?

Thanks

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Definitely untrue. I just tested it (for the heck of it -- I had no doubt). Where did you read that?

3. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Don't recall exactly where. I was searching a lot of sites for info on why my Tivo wasn't finding the programs on the S2 and saw that as a post on a board.

Glad to hear it isn't true.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I told you that wasn't true in your other thread as I transfer between my S2 and Premier all the time. ;)

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Analog Signal Copy Protection for TiVo® Series2, Series3, TiVo HD and Premiere

Like most television reception equipment, TiVo┬« boxes recognize Macrovision copy protection technology applied by program providers. This copy protection may be applied to certain limited categories of analog programming (such as Pay Per View, Video On Demand, DVD or VHS sources) and requires TiVo to respond in a pre-defined manner. Macrovision™ copy protection rules include:

Copy Never - This content is not allowed to be recorded by a TiVo box.

7 Day Unlimited - These programs can be recorded and viewed as many times as you like within 7 days of their original recording date

7 Day / 24 Hours - These programs can be stored for up to 7 days but once you begin watching the show, you must complete viewing within 24 hours.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

6. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Seems like none of these apply to the programs recorded because TiVo did record them and there is no indication of them being deleted after 7 days.

Still, is it going to get to the point in the future where they start to put a 7 day limit on almost everything you record?

The technology of VCR to DVR and SD to HD is nice but it certainly has its drawbacks.

7. tvlandfanJG

tvlandfanJG Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Since yesterday my Premiere can't find shows on my Series2. When I try to transfer SD programs from P to S2, I don't have a problem. When I try to look at the S2's Now Playing from the Premiere, I see the message, "The Bed Room DVR has no recordings." I restarted and re-connected to Tivo both DVRs. Now when I try to view the S2's program list from the Premiere, I see about 3 shows and then the "...no recordings" message appears.

I've made no changes to my network. As I wrote, my S2 has no problem seeing the Premiere programming.

My Premiere has a Cable Card installed but, as someone wrote, that has never been an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

8. tvlandfanJG

tvlandfanJG Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    I restarted my S2 again last night. After the restart, I couldn't get past the Now Playing screen. The S2 restarted on its own a couple of times after 5-10 minutes. I unplugged it over night and found this threading in the Help forum this morning.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=372111

Kickstart 57 seems to have solved my problem. The S2 stopped rebooting itself ant the Premiere can see the S2's Now Playing list again.

I never knew about the kickstarts. I would have assumed the S2's HD had issues.

Hope this helps someone.

Jim

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    tvland- keep an eye on things. Your S2's HD may have had an error which was corrected, or you may still have an error which will come up again. If I were you, I would make an image of your drive - just in case.

10. tvlandfanJG

tvlandfanJG Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    So far today, the S2 froze once and rebooted itself.

Pardon my ignorance but how does one make an image of a Tivo drive? I assume I have to remove the drive and connect it to a PC?

Thanks,

Jim

11. LittleMike

LittleMike New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    TiVo tech support (Tim) just reported to me that they have documented a software bug in the most recent Premiere software release that results in the "no programs recorded" message when trying to view recorded content on some Series2 units in a home wireless network. The problem is unpredictable and sporadic. No solution or work-around is yet defined. They are working on it and will push out a patch in the next release when it is developed. For now, "stay tuned" is the only advice. In the meantime, if wanting to transfer material from an affected S2/Premiere link, you can download to Tivo desktop and transfer from there.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go to mfslive.org and read about the MFS Live cd v1.4 and about the WinMFS program, both of which can make backups of TiVo drives (except for the Series 4 models).

Yes, you'll need a PC.

(I'm not going to swear that there's no way to do it with some version of the Mac, but my lack of knowledge about Apple hardware is vast and extensive)

When you have more questions, come back.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    One other thing, your S2 may be developing a power supply problem, what's the model number?