Issues with 20.2

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by comgenius1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. comgenius1

comgenius1 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    My tivo premier XL received the 20.2 update the other night. I've already documented 1 issue in another thread about the to-do list programming scrolling.

However, I have another issue... My tivo is "glitchy" now... I come in at night and find a show in now playing and play it... every 2 or 3 seconds the show "glitches" or kinda jerks, and will just keep doing it. I can go through the menu and restart it and it goes away, but comes back the next night.

If there's a way to go back a couple of updates, please let me know. These 2 issues are driving me nuts!

2. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I haven't seen this issue prior, do you happen to have an upgraded drive? Your drive could be showing the first signs of dying and it is simply poorly timed with the update.

That may sound ridiculous, but I think that scenario plays out a little more often than most people think, simply because the update causes a lot of hard drive atypical activity, with at least 2 reboots and multiple data integrity checks.

3. comgenius1

comgenius1 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Nope, stock drive.... Have had the tivo for a year and 8 months. The thought of a dying hard drive has crossed my mind, but its too coincidental to me for it to start when I got the latest update. And like I said in my first post, after rebooting it, its perfectly fine... until the next night...

I have also noticed with this latest update that the fan is way more noisy when the tivo first reboots and sounds like its on its way out, but once it gets past the "welcome powering up" screen, it quiets back down again to normal. This is probably coincidental as well, but again, a little too coincidental....

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    My fan has sounded like it's dying on startup since well before 20.2. No change that I can hear. (No glitches, either.)

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    No coincidence. The fan was probably already failing. And things like the fan and hard drive will tend to show failing or be noticeable when they are messed with (IE- power cycled). My started showing signs of failure IMMEDIATELY after the 14.9 update- it would then get better after several hours (but never completely quiet). I replaced it a few weeks later- WOW what a difference.

6. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    I have the same problem with my unit as well. I just got the update today. I was offline for the past week and just hooked it up and got the update. I have 2 units and have no problem so far with the other unit.

7. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have notice the same thing with mine. It has a little jerkiness since the 20.2 update.