Issues Activating Box From EBay

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ProStreet, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ProStreet

ProStreet New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Has anyone had problems activating a box they bought from EBay? I just got a HR10-250 and when I tried to activate it DirecTv told me the box was still active on another account. The person I got it from said it was never used. Is this one of DirecTv's way of getting rid of owned boxes and get people to lease? Any input on how to turn this from a paper weight to a TiVo would be great!!!

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    The seller lied to you. Return it and contest the charge with Pay Pal (hope you used Pay Pal) if they won't take it back. When buying off eBay you should get the receiver number and check with DirecTV first to see if able to be sold.

3. RandCfilm

RandCfilm New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Have DirecTV verify if the person you purchased the unit from is same person showing the unit is active on. If it is, all they have to do is call DirecTV and have it removed from their account.
    If the account holder is a different person than you purchased it from on ebay, you might try to get DirecTV to contact the current account holder to verify that the unit can be removed from their account.

Good luck.

4. onin24eagle

onin24eagle New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    O'fallon, MO.
    Happened to me too. I bought form a guy who said he deactivated it. When I hooked it up, I was receiving programming already. D* said it was not deactivated. They went ahead and deactivated it and put it in my name.

5. trex527

trex527 Tivo fool

Jul 15, 2007
    St.Louis
    Same as above.I went thru the same thing and luck was on my side that the agent I talked was a smart @$$ to me so they didn't charge me 20 bucks for a new card(yes they charge you to issue out a new card).I love my hr10 250 but if I had done all my homework I wouldn't have bought the thing off ebay for 200 bucks when they are so close to being obsolete but that's for another topic in this forum.

6. onin24eagle

onin24eagle New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    O'fallon, MO.
    Didn't charge me for a new card. Just used the card that was already in there.

7. trex527

trex527 Tivo fool

Jul 15, 2007
    St.Louis
    Yeah they try to charge a person for a new card now.People have told me about it as well as the person who I bought the hr10 250 from.It's like 20 bucks for them to send a card thru the mail.

8. ProStreet

ProStreet New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Well The person I bought it from has been on and off the phone with DirecTv. What happened is this is a refurbished unit and it was never taken off the account of the owner that got it new. They refurbished it and sent it out still active on the orignal account. I have not activated it on my account yet, so we will see!

9. ProStreet

ProStreet New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Well the seller spent quite a bit of time on the phone and got it deactivated. I got around to calling last night and had it activated on my account. This box was still in the sealed bag from being refurbished, so it was not used by the seller. This morning it updated from 6.3a to 6.3d. All is good now!!!

10. accupolka

accupolka New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I had a similar experience activating a used HR10-250 receiver.

The eBay seller sent me the box with the card that Directv originally provided. When I hooked it up, the channels were already visible. Unfortunately I received Pittsburgh local channels instead of Wash D.C local channels. After talking to the CSR, he told me that the problem was that the original owner did not completely deactivate the service and therefore their computer system would not let them activate the box to my account. Interestingly, without doing anything, I was getting free service with this box.

The remedy to this situation was to email the seller both the receiver id and the card #. He called Directv and requested that the receiver be completely deactivated. Immediately, I saw all channels disappear on my receiver and each channel displayed a message to call customer service.

I then called Directv again and they activated the receiver using the existing card. I asked the CSR to make sure their database indicated that my box was owned and not leased (to avoid a contract). She could not change this field and she transferred me to 'access card security'.

The second tier CSR explained that because the original card was not registered by me, the box could only be configured as leased (with a 2yr contract). He then explained that I could purchase a new card for $20 in order to designate that I owned the box. Fortunately, I had an existing card from an older box that I had deactivated. The CSR was able to both associate this existing card to the HR10-250 receiver and to update the database with the receiver as owned.

One other issue: As soon as my box was activated, Directv automatically added HD service to my account (for 9.99/ month). The problem is that I do not currently have a HD antenna. I called them up again and had them remove the extra service. They did offer to install an HD antenna for free (with a new contract). They would also throw in a new Directv HD DVR for $99. For now I declined and am enjoying the HR10-250, watching the standard sat channels and the HD OTA channels.

11. Skankboy

Skankboy Member

Nov 20, 2002
    It turns out this wasn't the case at all.... Jumping to conclusions can still be fun though.