Issued paring VOX remote to Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jwilson2598, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jwilson2598

jwilson2598 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    HAs anyone else purchased a VOX remote for their existing Bolt and encountered issues with RF pairing? I downloaded Hyrda to the Bolt+, and then put batteries in the remote. I went to the Pairing screen and followed the instructions to press a key (I used the direction down button). I get a red flash for IR followed by the Amber light flashing for 30 seconds. This repeats itself each time until it passes the 20 or so attempts and then it's stuck in RF only mode until I do a reset on it. I have contacted Tivo support who walked me through global resets of the remote, but still not luck.

The only other thing I can think of, and if I am wrong, please correct me, but can I have more than one remote paired to the unit? I have not done anything to unpair my original remote, so I'm not sure if this is contributing to the problem, or if it's something else going on. Thanks I advance for any help.

2. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    A couple of questions. Is your BOLT anywhere near a WiFi router? We switched from RF4CE to Bluetooth with the new remote, and BT does seem to be more susceptible to interference.
    Second, have you tried using another set of known, good batteries?
    Third, have you tried holding the remote at different distances/directions to see if it will pair?
    Fourth, do you have any other TiVo devices in the house? If so, try unplugging them. Sometimes the remote tries to pair with a box in another room.
    Fifth, when you say you reset the remote, what process did you use?

To answer your other question, the box is fine having multiple remotes paired with it, but the remote cannot be paired with more than one box.

3. TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    By design the remote is in automatic pairing mode when batteries are inserted for the first time. The goal is that they will pair during guided set up as the MINI is also in automatic pairing mode. In this mode whenever you press a button the remote will send the code by IR to allow navigation and then try to pair for 30 seconds or until successful. It should not be necessary to enter the remote pairing screen to do this.

First, check that the remote is in “pairing mode" i.e. the yellow LED on the remote is flashing slowly.
    For basic trouble-shooting, check here:
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Product_Information/TiVo-Voice-Troubleshooting
    If none of this works, try performing a global reset on the remote:

To perform a global reset of your remote control:
    1. Cover the end of the TiVo remote control with your hand.
    2. Press the TiVo button and the TV Power button simultaneously until the light at the end of the remote comes on.
    3. Press Thumbs Down 3 times, followed by Enter. The remote light should go out.
    NOTE: If the incorrect button is pressed, press Clear to start over.

This is the best procedure as it activates the automatic pairing mode. Please note that the "Enter" button referenced is the Enter at the lower right corner of the remote, some people press the OK button instead. Also step 1 is optional, but you may do things you didn't want to on the UI if you don't do it.

atmuscarella likes this.
  4. jwilson2598

jwilson2598 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    There is a router in the same room, but I shut it down for this round of troubleshooting.

Yes, I just went and grabbed brand new set of batteries out of the package

Yes I have tried different distances from sitting next to the box up to 6 or 7 feet away.

I do have 3 Mini’s, but I have unplugged them for this troubleshooting as well.

I used the Global remote reset procedure you mentioned in your second reply.

Despite all these steps here including shutting down the router, all other Tivo’s, and even my phone and watch, I can’t get it to pair. I’m beginning to think either there’s a software bug, or I have a bad remote. Unfortunately I have the non dongle remote, and only the one Bolt, so I can’t test it on my 2nd gen Mini’s

5. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Please try the following sequence and let us know if it works:

1) Put Remote in IR mode -- HOLD DOWN <TIVO> and <C> until you get three red flashes. Now the remote should control the TiVo, in IR mode (you get a red flash at every key press). Press LIVETV and tune to any channel you receive.

2) Reset remote and device pairing on your Bolt+ and put the TiVo back in "New" mode by doing the following.

Point the remote towards the TiVo and press the following sequence:

<CLEAR><ENTER><CLEAR> 221 <CLEAR>

This should reset the pairing on both the remote and the DVR. I don't think you get any flashes at this point, so just wait a few seconds. (Note your TiVo needs to receive this command via IR, which is why the remote has to being pointed towards the TiVo when you press this sequence).

3) After you've waited a few seconds, press a button on the remote (channel up works fine for this). You should see a red and a yellow flash. Wait a couple of seconds and press channel up again (is it flashing only yellow now)? If so, you should be paired in BlueTooth mode now -- if not, proceed to Step #4.

4) If you are not getting the quick yellow flash with each keypress, try to get your TiVo Bolt+ back to the page where you pair the remote, then follow the pairing directions there.

6. dprichter

dprichter New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Had this same issue with my remote on one of my Bolts. Since I was paying yearly and was scheduled to renew 12/9 i just cancelled my service.

Plus I did call support and had it escalated. Still have heard nothing in a week!

7. jwilson2598

jwilson2598 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    This procedure did not work for me. It does clear the pairings, but the new VOX remote will not pair up, same behavior as before. The original remote will repair right away.

8. jacktechie

jacktechie New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    South SF...
    It's been noted that close should mean within 3 feet or so, but it did not work even at the front of our 2 Bolt's. I had to put the remote front at the back of the Bolt before it would pair. Then it will work at normal range.

Tivo+C to get into IR unpaired mode on VOX remote.
    At the pairing page:
    Tivo+BACK to get into RF pairing mode. Solid LED, amber slow flash, then faster.

Bolt Plus refuses to pair with new Vox Remote

TiVo_Ted likes this.
  9. jwilson2598

jwilson2598 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    No joy with this either. Really beginning to think I have a $40 paperweight on my hands...

10. TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Be aware when using this command. I'm told that this command is actually for clearing the RF4CE pairing tables, which means it will un-pair your original non-VOX remote if you have one. It's not supposed to do anything to the Bluetooth pairing table, but if it worked for you that's great. YMMV

11. TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    I had this same pairing experience at home. I had to be literally on top of the BOLT for it to pair, but now it works from across the room.

12. jwilson2598

jwilson2598 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    Bumping this up. Currently working with @TiVo_Ted by PM, but in the interim, I picked up a second remote from a Best Buy and it will not pair either, same exact symptoms as the first one. I’m going to try keep workout by it with him, but I have a fear now it’s a Bolt problem...

13. jwilson2598

jwilson2598 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    So...

Today I was bored and decided to try this again. Repeated all the steps including the pairing table reset. I realized after clearing the pairing table I had grabbed the original remote, not the Vox and so I repeated the process. The remote did not pair as before, so I grabbed my original to pair it again, and as soon as I put it in pairing mode, I noticed that the VOX Remote also started flashing fast and they both paired. Not sure if I didn’t give the Vox enough time or what, but finally after all this time, I have it paired and working.