1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with tuning adapter not being seeing by Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lucidrenegade, Jul 11, 2018.

1. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I just got a tuning adapter for my Tivo. Spectrum in my area is going SDV, so I had to pick one up. I went through the setup guide and have everything attached properly. However, when I go to to Tuning Adapter in account and settings, it says "no tuning adapter". I've double checked everything, and the flashing green light on the TA turned solid green.

I went into the diagnostics screen and found the SDV section. It says:

Switched Digital Video: Tuning Adapter
    Connection State: Initializing
    Registration Time: -
    App Flags: Sdv:Off SdvHttp:Off Link:Off
    SDV Configuration Received: Yes (empty)

Any ideas how to fix this?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The item Connection State should mean it's detected. All I can add is that the upper USB connection is advised. More help will be along soon.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Is this a Motorola or Cisco (SA 1520) TA? Power-cycle the TA. Does the light blink for a few minutes then go steady on?

4. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Cisco STA1520. Yes, it does blink green for a few minutes then goes solid green after a power cycle.

@JoeKustra - I've tried both USB ports.

EDIT: When I disconnect the USB cable from the Tivo, Connection State in diagnostics says "not connected". It switches to "Initializing" when I plug the USB cable back in. I'm assuming that means it at least sees there's a TA connected.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK since the light is green, it's a Cisco TA. I'm going to paste info that I just posted in another thread:

The Cisco (Scientific Atlanta STA1520) has a green light. It blinks for several minutes during startup or initialization, then should go steady. The TA needs to get a subscription refresh signal every 20 to 25 days. If it isn't subscribed it blinks 8-blinks-pause. If it blinks 6-blinks-pause, it isn't able to communicate with the TiVo over the USB connection. Many people, like me, have the TA go inactive (although the light is on steady) every now and then and it then needs to be power-cycled. There is a button on the front but I can't see that it does anything worthwhile -- just power cycle it. Some people need power-cycling so often they have put their TA's on timers to do it every night. After this reset, disconnect/re-connect the USB cable which will force the TiVo CableCARD to get the channel list via the TA.

You can see the date the TA's subcription will expire in the Power Key section of TA diagnostics, down to the second. In TiVo diagnostics, near the bottom you can see if the channel list has been received.

If you can't get into TA diagnostics after a power-cycle then you have a fundamental problem that can only be solved by Spectrum. The part of Spectrum that knows the most about TA's is their national CableCARD help desk at: 866-532-2598.

bertp likes this.
  6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK, see what the subexpires date in the power key section of TA diagnostics says. However I think you have a more basic problem that the TA is not provisioned in your Spectrum account. Try the national desk number I previously posted.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    For the first year I had my TA (2009) my sub expired every month and I had to call in to TWC to get them to manually refresh it. There seem to be plenty of ways they can do TA support wrong. I think it would be interesting to know if your Spectrum area has **any** properly functioning TA's on their system.

8. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I called the cablecard helpdesk and the woman I talked to found that I have a Motorola cable card, but they gave me a Cisco TA. She's sending me a Motorola TA and said that should fix the problem. She was the most helpful person I've ever dealt with at any cable company. Apparently the person at the store didn't even bother to check my account for which CC I had. One of the side effects of multiple consolidations I guess.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The person at the store probably didn't have a clue about CableCARD or TA's. Not surprising since these things are just viewed as confusing oddities used by less than 1% of their customers.

Sure hope they got it right this time, i.e., your system is actually on Motorola not Cisco.