Issue with bose lifestyle 5.1

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by goherd90, Jan 4, 2006.

1. goherd90

goherd90 New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    OK...I have the HD10-250 DVR hooked up to my bose lifestyle 35 via optical connection. My issue is that some of my HD audio channels that I know are broadcasting in 5.1 are not coming over in 5.1...for instance last nights game on ABCHD was DD 5.1 and yet I was not getting anything out of my rear channels, however I decided to hook up with regular red/white connections and the rears came in??? I prefer to have the optical because although the rears came in I did notice the sound volume dropped significantly.

It seems all my other DD 5.1 audio channels were working fine via optical...for example hdnet, hbohd, shohd....etc these all worked ok, but that damn local hd channel via the optical during the FSU/Penn State game would not work.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Is this a Bose issue? A Tivo issue or local channel issue?????

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If "the rears came in" then the receiver is using matrix surround decoding and that doesn't tell you anything. Are you sure the broadcast was 5.1? Most of the HD shows I watch from networks are "2.0".

Also, make sure the audio preference is to record Dolby Digital.

3. goherd

goherd New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Now that you mention it I am not sure if the broadcast was in 5.1....same things is happening tonight for the championship game on abc..however in my bose set up is says the audio for that channel is coming over in DD 2.0?

Even with this said I need an education on why when I have it hooked up via optical I do not hear my rear channels, however when I switch to analog I hear through them? Plus why is this only happening on ABC? When I went to the abchd site it says the broadcasts are in digital and MAY be DD 5.1.

Any help much appreciated

4. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Because you receiver is creating a synthesized surround ambience utilizing out-of-phase material in the stereo signal.

You will notice the same thing if you play any stereo programming (a CD, FM radio, and utilize the Dolby Surround setting.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Many receivers, when receiving a digital audio signal, don't synthesize surround from it. My Sony takes that approach by default but lets me enable other modes where surround processing is added.