Issue Connecting to TiVo Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rlgillespie, Dec 20, 2017.

1. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002

Advertisements

This issue first started back in October around the time TiVo rolled out the software update 20.7.4. The first time this happened, it took about a week with TiVo support to get the problem resolved. Nothing was changed on the unit itself. TiVo support push the software update while the Roamio was on the boot screen. Once Roamio updated to software 20.7.4, everything was back to normal.

Now the issue has returned. Roamio's last successful connection was on Dec 8th (TiVo Minis have no issue connection to TiVo Service) and I have tried numerous times manually forcing the connection and no luck. Sometimes it fails (C111) at the "Getting account status" while Connecting, other times it fails (C115) at "downloading" while Getting Info. Since the Roamio has been unable to connect, the program guide is now empty.

I have tried to cycling power to all network devices and Roamio. I have tried "Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions" and "Clear Program Information & To Do List".

Have a setup with (1) Roamio Pro and (3) Minis since 2013/2014. All (3) Minis can successfully connect to the TiVo service, but the Roamio's last successful connection was on Dec 8th.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Can you access the box from TiVo Online? Is your box's data correct (TDL, Guide, Channels)?

3. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    When I go to TiVo Online, it shows that my box is selected, but everything is missing (To Do List, My Shows, and One Pass). Guide and Channels are correctly listed.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This sounds serious. I'm sorry, but I think you have done all I would have done short of wiping the box. But I have three boxes, so I could move the programs and not lose anything.

5. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002

Advertisements

Joe, Thanks for the help.

I was afraid that wiping the box was my only option.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have enough space on your computer, there are several programs that could help. I have used -> Easier to use pyTivo but there are others.

7. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    I do have some space and I already have a program or two to help transfer shows. My only concern is after wiping box, that during setup, box has an issue connecting to TiVo Service. If box has an issue during setup, then I won't have anyway to watch TV. Decisions, decisions.

Right now everything works (streaming apps, live tv) the only issue with being unable to connect to TiVo service is the lack of program guide.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I understand. I had the same issue once myself. It fixed itself.

If you are in no hurry, there is another alternative. Buy another Roamio on monthly service. I bought a used box on eBay for $45. I put service on it for a month to test Hydra. After the month was almost over I cancelled service and got my $15 back. I still have a known working backup that I can use for parts.

BTW, while I know you can't support a Mini with the built-in wireless, you should be able to have a Service Connection. Have you tried that? Just guessing now.

9. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Funny you bring that alternative up. I was just thinking about that and looking at eBay.

The Minis do have a Service Connection.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Does that mean that using wireless failed?

Mini working means one of two things: the Mini doesn't use what fails on its host or the host may start working if something happens.

11. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    The Minis have no issues connecting via Ethernet, haven't tried wireless with the Minis. I tried wireless with the Roamio and connection still fails with similar errors C211 or C215.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Don't worry about the Mini boxes since they work. Sorry to hear about wireless failing. I'm not sure what you can do now except start from scratch. Even that's not a 100% fix since it could be something corrupted on TiVo's end causing your box to fail. Sadly, I doubt there is anyone at TiVo smart enough to help. There are extensive logs inside the TiVo. Trick is finding someone who can understand them.

13. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm having the same issue. I have two Roamio's, one hasn't successfully connected since Wednesday 12/20, the other since Friday 12/22.
    Both boxes seem to fail at random stages, sometimes during Connecting, other times during Getting Info.
    Internet Connection test works some of the times, but fails at other times.
    My Premiere has no issues at all connecting.
    All of my boxes are running 20.7.4.RC18.
    According to the Info screen, only the service connections are failing, VCM connection seems to be working fine.
    I only noticed this because one Roamio didn't record anything on Friday because of 'Power Lost', which is of course bogus since we were watching live TV all night.
    I'm going to try going through Tivo Support, but have little faith they will be able to do anything but lose all my recordings.

14. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I had similar problems with my Roamio box several days ago. I have three (3) TiVos (Bolt, Roamio, Premiere). The Bolt was connecting OK but the Roamio and Premiere would fail on the "Negotiating" phase.
    I rebooted both boxes and the Premiere worked but the Roamio kept failing.
    I remember doing the Test Connection option several times and finally I got a connection to work.
    I doubt there is anything wrong on your side, probably just something with the TiVo servers.
    I would keep trying to make a Test Connection (sorry can't remember where that option is right now).

15. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Well, so much for my advice. All three (3) of my TiVos are now failing to connect. I can get the test connection to work sometimes but the regular connection fails are different points. I restarted my Tivos, restart my router, nothing seems to help. I am having no problems connecting to the internet from any of my apps.

16. rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I think this is a problem on Tivo end. See threads on coffee house and help center. I thought this was a pblm with my router, of other things. But now I think it is all coming from Tivo side. Hope whatever it is, they fix it.

17. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Agreed that there isn't anyone smart enough to help at TiVo support. Prior to posting, I had already spent 3-4 hours on the phone with different levels of TiVo support. Their solution was to replace my unit and a cost of $200-$300, which I said no thanks, especially since I believe it is a problem on their end.

18. rlgillespie

rlgillespie New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Good luck. Hopefully you have more success then I had, which was none.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would try two or three consecutive service connections using Network, Service Connection. My boxes are working ok now after failing on the first try over the weekend.

20. Toni

Toni Active Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Mine are working again. First connection makes a successful connection, but the second connection is needed to actually grab and load the data.