Isolate which HD has a problem in an RCA DVR40?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by codeartist, Sep 9, 2007.

1. codeartist

codeartist New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Hey all,
    So my DVR40 started acting up this morning -- it is stuttering everywhere: playback of shows (including ones I know where good yesterday), menus, live TV. I'm assuming that this is a HD problem and that's where my problem is. I have an upgraded unit with a second HD. How do I determine which of the two HD's needs replacement? From reading the forums it looks like most HDs will pass the PC-based disk checking tools. And I'm not getting an audible click of death to narrow it down that way.
    Second: Is there a way to keep my season passes when replacing either the primary or secondary HD? I don't care about keeping content, just don't feel like readding the seasion passes.

Thanks all!

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    No way to keep the season passes. Sorry the drives are married togather and the death of one effects both. Does your PCsupport smart drives? If it does you can turn it on in the bios and along with the manufactures disk (downloadable from the manufactures website) enable on each drive and it should tell you which has failed. Good luck.