Is your Elite silent?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by HaloBox, Oct 13, 2011.

1. HaloBox

HaloBox New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Reach
    Hello,

I just received my Elite yesterday. I am noticing it isn't dead silent. When the HDTV is off, the Elite is emitting some noise that sounds like a fan or CPU whine.

It is pretty faint, but you can certainly hear it and it's just loud enough to annoy in the den when the HDTV is off.

Anyone else noticing the same?

Thanks

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Every TiVo has a fan. I can easily hear the fan and hard drive from 15 feet away in a quiet room on any TiVo. The Elite has been no different. Although I have not checked to see if the actual sound level is any higher than the two tuner Premieres. Although I wouldn't expect it to be.

And you could get some vibrations from the surface it's sitting on that would make a noise as well.

3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    It's quieter than the Series 3 with My DVR Expander that it replaced.

4. HaloBox

HaloBox New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Reach
    Maybe it's just that I can actually hear the TiVo now over the S3 and external eSATA drive that used to be there.

As long as my dog can sleep, that's all that matters. :D

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo does not shut off even when you shut off your TV, it stays on all the time. If you put Tivo on standby, that only shuts down the video outputs.

6. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I never hear any sound from my Premiere and I have sensitive hearing.

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have an early S3 in the bedroom and I have to close the cabinets before I go to be otherwise it annoys me...

The HD unit is better, but the Premier is significantly quieter... It has a fan, but I do not hear the whiring of the hard drive the way I do on the S3.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The original Premiere is definitely the quietest TiVo to date. I have not seen many reports on the Elite so it is hard to say. My guess is it should be about the same unless the new hard drive they are using is louder.