is turbonet broken?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by jar_uk1, Jan 14, 2006.

1. jar_uk1

jar_uk1 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Bracknell,...

Advertisements

Earlier i posted that my hacks and all net access to tivo seems to have gone, but I wonder if my turbonet card has broken

I pulled the drive, and booted the PC with the latest iso from silcondust, ran the installer for the nic and it came up with the ip and gateway that I had prevously set, but why would this happen if all my settings had gone?

Intrigued i put in the steve jenkins iso, rebooted and mounted the partitions (I dont have a "7" which I understand is normal for an upgraded unit?)

switch to partition 9 and amongst other things i still have a hacks directory with all of my stuff in it!

The turbonet card still has the link light lighting up, but no ping, nothing can talk to it. Anyone had their card spontaneously go bang? and does this look like that?

Am I getting my understanding of partitions on a Tivo mixed up?

John R

2. Glesgie

Glesgie New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    London
    From those symptoms I would say:

1. Your settings are still there because they are on the Disk.

2. Your card is almost certainly dead, but it might be worth trying a different LAN cable.

3. If you disconnect the LAN cable at either end, does the link light come on ?

3. jar_uk1

jar_uk1 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Bracknell,...
    Thanks for the info

I have tried diff lan cables, diff switch, pretty much any combo I can think of.

The Link light only lights if the cable has a valid LAN connection (ie if it is plugged into a switch) if I unplug it, it goes out, it DOES seem to flash occasionally when plugged in, and I put this down to net traffic (not a lot at the moment).

This could spell the start of the end for my tivo, as replacing the turbonet or getting a cachecard may not be cost effective :-(

I just wish I could definitively say "YES IT IS THE TURBONET CARD" Are there any logs that would show this?

John