Is Tivo Roamio base model getting Hydra?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Isaiah, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I have a base Tivo Roamio with a 500GB hard drive. Does anybody know if Tivo is going to release Hydra to the Roamio line or is it too old to run Hydra?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its only voluntary, but I would not install it. They shut down the most important feature with this, PCtoTivo transfers. Along with many bugs.

Chuck_IV, unclehonkey and Wil like this.
  3. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    You can install it if you want (and hate your family), but I wouldn't.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Hydra works on the Roamio line, including the Roamio Basic box. All you have to do is "upgrade" your box to it (there should be a listing among the box's apps to do so, something like "Get the new TiVo Experience!"). Or, if you have a VOX remote paired with your Roamio box, pressing the Voice button should start the process.

Note: in doing so, you will lose a workable Suggestions, the ability to do TiVo box-to-Tivo box transfers from the box (you'll need to use TiVo Online), and the ability for PC -> TiVo box transfers. Oh, and you'll lose the TiVo Live Guide.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    It sounds like I am better off staying on the current software version. I wonder how long the Hydra update will remain optional?

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    :up: (But, then, I'm biased.)*
    When discussing this months back, TiVo's head of the TiVo consumer division stated (or something along these lines) that TiVo did not then have any plans to force people to migrate from TE3 to Hydra. Of course, plans can change. One factor that might help, here, for TE3 folks: TE3 needs to stay around, as the pre-Roamio boxes cannot run Hydra. :)

* Note that if you wanted to try Hydra out but then move back to TE3, you can--but all recordings on the box will be wiped in the process (and so anything you want to keep should be transferred, if not copy-protected, to your PC first). I forget if things like Season Passes and thumbs will be lost as well (I believe so?)--they can be saved via the kmttg software. Nonetheless, every now-and-again someone posts about problems in moving back to TE3, and so I get concerned about this.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you upgrade to Hydra and decide you don't like it, you can roll back to TE3, but you will lose all of your shows.

RightHere and KENL like this.
  8. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Hydra works great on my Roamio.

If you don’t care about Live Guide and PC transfers, it’s a great UI.

I’ve been on Hydra since Day 1 and in the past 2 years the kinks have been worked out. All the complains about bugs are unnecessary, that was months and months ago.

mattyro7878, Teeps and mdavej like this.
  9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    That is the question. About a day longer than my grandkids live would be fine with me; future generations are on their own.

bobfrank likes this.
  10. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Did they get rid of TiVo Plus?

Chuck_IV and rafab1 like this.
  11. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    No, but after a few weeks I don’t even notice it any more.

It doesn’t hurt anything being there, I just don’t click on it.

12. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    But, other than that, it's really just mediocre (referring to Hydra of course).

13. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just run Plex on the PC and watch via the Plex app on the Tivo. It works just fine.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I don't use Plex nor do I keep my computer running when I want to watch something that's on the computer or NAS.

KENL likes this.
  15. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Fine, yes, but not nearly as well with respect to trickplay (skip back, skip forward, FF, RW, QuickMode, etc) as when the show is transferred to the TiVo, even with gigabit networking.
    I do have and use Plex, but much prefer transferring shows back to my TE3 TiVos for viewing. My computer fires up pyTivo and Plex servers at boot, but I don't leave it running all the time. I know, many do. I don't.

KENL likes this.
  16. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I find it amazing how many people hate TE4, but visit this site all the time to ***** and complain. It is like they expect TiVo to change their mind about TE4. I resisted TE4 for a long time due to all the hate-posts on this site, but I find it fine. It is not perfect but not as bad as all the TE4 haters claim.

17. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I have come to like it. I do miss the live guide. No idea why they can't flip around some 1's and 0's and give us the live guide.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It might have been feasible for some (assuming you didn't care about the lost features) but the new pre-roll ad nonsense make it a non-starter.

If you support Tivo's ad crap by continuing to run TE4, you're part of the problem. Everyone should downgrade and send a message.

shwru980r likes this.
  19. lman

lman Member

Nov 14, 2006
    I have a Bolt ota and unless I'm mistaken, I can't use TE3. I was able to make the call to remove the ads. Please don't advise me to do something that is not possible.

20. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Unless it’s a “Bolt OTA” it can be downgraded to TE3