is tivo right for me

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jasonandjennifer, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 #1 of 21
    jasonandjennifer

jasonandjennifer New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    my wife and i had full service cable with a nice expensive package. we've recently downgraded to save on monthly fees but miss our dvr terribly. i never thought i was one to get a tivo, but ive been thinking what the heck, cause i was renting a dvr from metrocast (my local cable company) anyways. so ill tell you my situation and hopefully you all can steer me in the right direction.

1. we have an off brand cable company, not comcast
    2. would prefer dual tuner
    3. do not have hdtv service, but will watch hd movies through ps3
    4. need lots of storage space
    5. wouldnt mind finding a used model to save, money
    6. lifetime service appeals to me, especially if bought at in a deal used
    7. have basic cable, which means my input will be a coaxial cable, with no cable box before it

whew! i know thats alot, but i was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction of what unit to buy and what will work for my specific needs.

2. Apr 3, 2011 #2 of 21
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    1. Hard to say, I know the one time I had "off brand cable" the TiVo had no problem with it. It was the cable that came with my apartment, but it was already in their system. Again, hard to say. IIRC, TiVo get's it's feed from zap2it.com, you might want to see if they have your lineup over there. If they have it, I'd assume you wouldn't have a problem.
    2. Premiere (the forum you posted this question in) has a dual tuner. I think everything but the S1 and the first S2s have dual tuners, but I could be mistaken. If you're looking for used TiVo's, it's easy enough to figure it out.
    3. If you don't have HD service, the HD ability of the premier will just go unused, it won't interfere with anything once you turn all the HD settings off. If you have an HDTV, you'll probably want to leave the HD menus on since they look a lot nicer. The PS3 Movies are irrelevant since they won't have anything to do with the TiVo.
    4. Not a problem. The Premieres come with enough storage to hold 400 or 1350 hours of SD recordings at basic quality, easily expandable with a external drive.
    5/6 Plenty of units on Amazon, Ebay etc, keep an eye here on these boards as well. The lifetime service stays with the unit, so that will be part of what you pay for if you buy one used. I have no idea if TiVo is offer lifetime on new units right now. But from time to time they'll let you upgrade from monthly to lifetime usually for $300-$400. If the TiVo is less then 2 or 3 years old and you don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon, it's probably worth it as they tend to last quite a while.
    7. No problem. In fact, the Premier can't control a cable box anyways. If you need a cable box, you'd have to get a cable card which is typically cheaper anyways.

3. Apr 3, 2011 #3 of 21
    jasonandjennifer

Apr 2, 2011

thanks for all the help. alot of good information.
    1. i went to zap2it.com, but how do i find if metrocast cable is available. i searched and no results came up. however other internet searches led me to believe i will have some kind of tv guide (heck having that is half of the reason i want a tivo box and would probably be happy with the 3 day free lifetime tivo, if that helps someone to steer me right)

2. i dont need premier, i dont even know what that means. but i didn't fit any of the other categories, and i didn't see a series 2 forum so i posted here (wierd cause they have one for series I)

3. i'd love to find one cheap, and having lifetime usually jacks the price up. should i look for a unit that came with the free lifetime 3 day limited service? that would get me my tv guide, pause and rewind live tv, and record something that night while im away.

4. Apr 3, 2011 #4 of 21
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't really have an answer for you on that. I'll wait for someone else to chime in.

I wouldn't get an S2. I assume you have an HDTV, just no HD signal. If and when you get an HD signal, if you wanted to use it (with the TiVo) you'd have to upgrade. Might as well future proof.
    I'm not sure what "free lifetime 3 day limited service" is. Could you expand, or point me to where you read it.

Without service all you'll be able to do is change the channel and rewind/ff/pause but only within 30 minutes of 'live'. You might be able to record something that's on right now, but that would be the extent of it. You will not be able to record anything that's on in the future. You will not be able to get the guide data. The guide data is the heart of the Tivo service. Really and truly the money you give TiVo is for them to put the guide data into your box.
    Without the service you have little more then a cable box.
    There's tricks and hacks to get around it, but IMO, I'd rather just pay for the service and have a fully functional box and not have to mess around with it.

5. Apr 3, 2011 #5 of 21
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    The
    "free lifetime 3 day limited service"
    that he is referring to is probably what is offered with the Toshiba and Pioneer DVD DVRs.
    Those Tivos sell for very cheap on Ebay. And if U want full blown Tivo later then U can pay the monthly fee. U can even try the full blown Tivo service with all the bells and whistles for free for a set time period.

6. Apr 3, 2011 #6 of 21
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Here is my 2 cents.

1. If your cable isn't 100% analog what you need to know is, if your cable company provides cable cards or not (you do not need cable cards for 100% analog).
    2. All the newer boxes are dual tuner
    3. HDTV isn't the issue, what matters is if your cable is analog (old style) or digital (new style) or a mix of the 2.
    4. It is possible to upgrade hard drives on all units. If you are recording SD content it is possible to upgrade to thousands of hours of storage.
    5. Pretty much all models are available on ebay
    6. I personally agree and would get a unit with lifetime
    7. Sounds like your cable is still analog - this gives you more choices now but might not last for much longer you should see if your cable company is planning on going all digital anytime soon.

If your cable company is staying analog for awhile you could pick up a Series 2 with lifetime. The dual tuner models are newer than the single tuner ones. Or you could buy 2 Single tuner Series 2 TiVos.

You can still use a Series 2 with digital cable you just need a cable box for the Series 2 to control.

All the newer units (since the Series 2 units) will also work with analog cable as is, but require cable cards to work with digital cable these units include:

1. Premiere - a current model
    2. Premiere XL - a current model
    3. TiVo HD - a discontinued model
    4. TiVo HD XL - a discontinued model
    5. TiVo Series 3 HD - a discontinued model

Post anymore questions you have.

Good Luck!!

7. Apr 3, 2011 #7 of 21
    jasonandjennifer

Apr 2, 2011
  8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 21
    arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    I think this here is a bit misleading. Digital cable still comes through coax. My tv right now is just hooked up to coax, and it can still pick up some of the special channels [unencrypted QAM or something, I think they're called]. Digital does not equal high def.

And, from everything I've read, TiVo will still work fine with that setup, no cablecard required. The card is just for your HD channel package whatever.

Note that I do not speak from experience, only what my research suggests. By next week I could provide more definitive answers. I purchased a box and expect not to need a card for my purposes.

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 21
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    As I stated earlier in my post what matters is if the signal being sent is digital or analog. Digital cable requires a differant type tuner than analog cable. Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos do not have digital tuners built in and require a cable box to record digital cable. The five newer TiVos I listed out all have built in digital tuners however they all require cable cards to work properly with digital cable - it has nothing to do with if it is HD or SD digital cable.

Thanks,

10. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    Ahh, then it is I whom misunderstood.

11. jasonandjennifer

Apr 2, 2011
    ok guys. got the tivo hooked up to my tivo and receiver and 2 hours later, lol, im all hooked up and updated but the channel lineup looks like its from another cable company so the guide and channels are all messed up. how do i set this baby up for metrocast in st marys county, maryland. thanks,

EDIT: got the channel lineup straight, but boy is this slow receiver. its a series 2, post 2004, so its not the oldest, but darn close. can you guys recommend a faster receiver, maybe with a dual tuner? :)

just got it and already upgrading. aah the life of a noobie autophile!

12. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Why on earth are you posting on the TiVo Premiere forum if you have an antiquated Series 2?:confused:

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    +1

Also, keep in mind that Tivo is essentially a death-spiraling product - the standalone boxes are, by their own admission, never going to get much of any focus again. This is especially true for a Series 2!

14. jasonandjennifer

Apr 2, 2011
    hey guys im back. thanks so much for your help. the tivo i bought has served us well, but we're retiring it to the bedroom. we need a faster, newer unit, and we want something with dual tuners so we can record something while watching another. can you guys steer me in the right direction once again?

15. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I would recommend the series 2 dual-turner model,since you want to save on monthly fees, and are using your ps3 for HD movies, and don't have HD-tv service.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD64908...5G58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306634829&sr=8-1

you can get the Premiere for $99,but its at $20/month, but its a much better DVR than the series 2. the series 2 is fast, and responsive, but the Premiere has much more storage space.

16. jasonandjennifer

Apr 2, 2011
    series 2? isnt that what i have now? i want a much faster guide response time. also, i must have left out that i want no monthly fees. i want to buy one off ebay with lifetime service included. dual tuner is a must, and i prefer alot of storage space too. is there a write up on all the different models and what the changes were and upgrades to each model?

sum up of our needs:
    1. probably used for a deal, but not necessarily
    2. lifetime tivo recording (no monthly fees) and tv guide service included, the full 2 weeks preferred but 3 days might suffice
    3. fast fast menu. i press guide now and it take 3 seconds to come up
    4. dual tuner
    5. preferrably a large hard drive for no holds barred recording bliss

17. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    It's 2011. I would recommend getting an HDTV. If you cannot tell the difference between HDTV and fuzzy analog standard TV, take the money that you had planned on using for a digital video recorder and instead spend it on a trip to the ophthalmologist or optometrist.

Once you have established that you have acceptable visual acuity, read the fine print on your display device, DVR, and confirm which sub-forum you are frequenting on Tivo Community Forum. If you don't have both an HDTV and a Series 4 Tivo, don't bother people by posting questions about a Series 2 TiVo on the TiVo Premiere DVRs part of TCF.:rolleyes:

If you really have a high definition display device and you want to purchase an HD TiVo, you could buy a used TiVo Series 3 or Series 4 on fleaBay or buy a new TiVo Premiere directly from tivo.com and pay $499 for product lifetime service. That said, if you don't even know what the hell you already have purchased, the people here probably won't be able to help you overcome your willful ignorance of what you have spent good money to purchase.:thumbsdown:

18. jasonandjennifer

Apr 2, 2011
    thanks, anyone nice wanna help me?

19. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    you said your series 2 is one tuner,no? thats not the same model,the one I posted has 2.

I have a old series 2 in my bedroom and its very fast,im not sure why yours is not? the only other options really are the TivoHD and the premiere,but those are going to be more expensive for not really a better experience since you won't be using it for HDTV.

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    HDTV or not, you want one of the S3 platform units, either a used Series 3 or a used Tivo HD with lifetime from ebay. Unlike the S2 DT, they are dual tuner in ALL configurations, the S2DT is only dual tuner when you have analog channels. Both the Series3 and THD can do over the air dual tuner, the S2DT can not.

They're easy to upgrade, reliable, faster than a "nightlight" S2 and give you a built in path for when you do go HD. My experience with multiple S2s is that the original 240 models were fast, the rest notsomuch.

However I do have to say neither is the Premiere, and as nicely as possible I'll say you posted in the wrong forum, one of the more general Tivo chat forums would have been the right forum, not the Premiere specific one.