Is Tivo loosing it's technological edge???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bassque, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008

Advertisements

So...I've been a loyal Tivo customer since 2001 with my Tivo Series2. Since then I've upgraded a few but it's time to upgrade again. I have a Tivo HD which is great but I find myself traveling more and more and keep missing my shows. I see other DVR competitors (Dish and Direct TV) offering streaming services from their DVR's to iPads and iPhones, which I have both. They even have streaming live televisions as well. I currently use an EyeTV product on a Mac Mini streaming to my iPad and iPhone for that but I'd like an all in one solution.

I really want this functionality but I'm a die hard Tivo guy. Any idea when I can expect something like that with Tivo? Is it even on the radar?? is it here already and I just need a Premier???

Thanks everyone!

Jeff

2. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    If so, they might be able to just tighten it.

3. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I could be wrong, but as I understand it all the satellite/cable DVR streaming options are internal network only. A slingbox will offer what you are looking for when traveling.

4. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    just buy a slingbox and worry about other things that are more important, like the destruction of the world in 2012.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

What a non loyal Tivo customer, are all TiVo customers loyal,? how does one become a loyal TiVo customer ? We have a lot of posts using that word loyal as (I guess) opposed to just "a customer of TiVo".

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    My my my! :p I think it's time for all of you to ponder a Deep Thought by Jack Handey:

http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    +1, Funny

Whadda ya mean my Slashdot mod points ain't no good here?

8. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Thank you TerpBE - great response to one of my pet peeves!

9. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Ah cynical responses with no real answers to the questions posed. Thanks community! You've done it again!

10. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Loosing or Lost.....

11. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    OMG it's fixed. Nerds.

12. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008

My EyeTV does the same thing that a SlingBox would.

13. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    If you can get your shows off of the TiVo and onto a PC, you can use a product like Zumocast to put them on your iDevices. This is a copy to your phone and not a stream, though Zumocast does offer streaming. I don't know if the streaming will work outside your LAN however. There may be other options that allow a file on your PC to stream to an iPhone as well.

As a note. I had Zumocast working the first time I used it, but ended up passing on it when the file sizes were too big for my phone. When I got the iPad I installed it again, but the transfer rate seems to be too slow or something else is going on, YMMV.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    How questions are asked directly affects how they are answered. Simple direct questions usually get better answers. You could have simple asked if an app was available that allowed you to stream content from a TiVo to a smart phone or tablet when away from home. You likely would have gotten the simple answer No. You could have also asked if TiVo had announced that this feature was coming. Again you would have gotten the simple answer No.

Everything else you asked was just asking for opinions and speculation. Which are pretty much worthless if you are looking for actual information.

Good Luck,

15. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    They are claiming that you can stream from anywhere using their DVR's. DishNetwork is using a Sling device bundled with their services fully supported by Dish.

I guess the whole point is that it seems like innovation is coming from the cable providers and not TiVo. They need to step their game up if they want to remain relevant.

16. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    So to your point...forums are not discussion boards after all. Just mindless boolean responses. Got it.

17. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    He did, back in December. Maybe he just likes repeating himself.

18. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    '

You're right. I should have brought that back from the dead.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    edit : after enough snarky replies by the OP he can go find it himself

20. bassque

bassque New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Cool thx for that. I've tried a few of those options. The one that I seem to use the most is the Roxio client TiVo transfers for PopCorn. Works pretty well but isn't streaming so takes forever to your point. Also, I have to re-encode it to MP4 using Popcorn so it will play on my iPhone/iPad/AppleTVs.