Is TiVo in trouble? Not the same suppport I previsouly received

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Wilzer, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    I just received an eMail with instructions on installing my new TiVi VOX Bolt and there is the familiar instruction about calling technical support and setting up a 3 way call. However, when you call it goes into general support and after talking with them, all I got was "call your provider," in this case, Spectrum, (Spectrum is not listed on TiVo's provider sheet) and I have spent hours on the phone with Spectrum and they refuse to give me a cable card, say need a technician to install. Some of the Spectrum people I spoke with intimated that Spectrum was no longer ordering new cards and they started talking about TiVo being for sale. I feel like one of my good friends is on life support, say it isn't true.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Whatever TiVo's support says, think the opposite. Been like that for over a year (since being bought by Rovi).

sharkster likes this.
  3. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Did you speak with Spectrum reps that specialize in CableCARD issues or just their regular support folks? This appears to be the number for Spectrum's CableCARD support department: 833-267-6094. That's the number that TiVo lists for them and it's also the phone number that Spectrum has on their own website to call when you're trying to activate a CableCARD. I have no idea if they've changed their policy and now require a technician to come out and do the install but in the past they have allowed customers to install their own.

You shouldn't worry about TiVo being on life support. Yes, there have been changes at the corporate level with their merger with Rovi. And yes, it's true that they are now exploring the possibility of another sale and going private (no longer be a publicly traded stock). But there's no reason to believe that TiVo is going to stop offering service to your Bolt anytime in the foreseeable future. And, based on everything I know about Spectrum, I don't think there's any danger that they will switch from QAM TV to IPTV any time soon either. And as long as they offer QAM TV, the law requires them to support CableCARD.

wish_bgr likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If Spectrum keeps giving you the run-around, or if you've already had enough, you can file an FCC complaint Re: their failure to support your CableCARD device ... which they are required to do. It's my understanding that such complaints have been great motivators.

tarheelblue32 and jrtroo like this.
  5. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    FCC Complaint done Thanks

tarheelblue32, jrtroo and krkaufman like this.
  6. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    If TIVO is bad - Spectrum will be worst for customer service - I think they are the lowest rated in the industry.
    Having said that when I installed Spectrum and TIVO earlier this year ( had just moved) the Spectrum guy hooked all up for me.
    Is there an issue with a Spectrum guy coming out to install? Might be better than spending hours on the phone afterwards getting it all working

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    They might have a dedicated cable card line for old TWC markets, but Charter never had dedicated cable card support. I just call the number posted and it went to the main support line.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Hmm, OK. Yeah, I think TWC markets did have a dedicated line for CableCARD and I assumed Spectrum overall did now too.

If you Google "Spectrum CableCARD support," the results page features this number at the top, cited from a page at timewarnercable.com:
    1-866-532-2598

No idea if that number still works though, or if it's only for former TWC areas.

Wilzer likes this.
  9. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    It does go to cable card support line: Humm, but after answering "cable card support" switches over to usual Spectrum general robo line.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Simply a datapoint that I've been thinking about recently:

When Rovi purchased the original TiVo company 2+ years ago (early September 2016), some people here predicted TiVo's imminent demise, often vehemently. With the recognition that anything could happen at any time--knock wood, the TiVo division still is here, and with no immediate signs of going anywhere.

Wilzer likes this.
  11. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Well, at least we have gone down so many blind allys that those coming after us may read this and save some time. :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, I've been with them since they were Charter (for decades) and, over the years, I've been hard-pressed to find somebody who really does know anything about CableCARDs. One of the last times, I just kept punching stuff and got it re-paired myself, after they were unable on the phone. But, if you luck out at any given time, you might get connected to somebody who DOES know about CCs. I've also BTDT and it was so nice to have somebody who wasn't just trying to read a script and fly by the seat of their pants. :)

13. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Well I have one working in my other house, I set up myself, no drama. I guess if new one has problem, I'll look at the old one and see settings. PS: did you get your TiVo from TiVo or somewhere else. They set up most everything before shipping if ordered directly from TiVo.

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Thanks, but I have the same experience as Wilzer. That number answers "cable card support", but after entering my phone number, dumps me into general support. I usually get a person who doesn't even know what a cable card is. But they're friendly and try their best. I just keep calling until I get an experienced cable card person.

I've always had better luck just walking into a Spectrum store and getting my card and tuning adapter in person. Pairing and activation is a whole other adventure. I'm glad I don't have to mess with any of that stuff anymore.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That number worked until recently and reached a national CableCARD (and Tuning Adapter) help desk in Buffalo, NY. It was available 7 days a week and until 11pm at night. I'm on Spectrum in a formerly TWC region and just called this number as a test. Sad to say it now just dumps you into a generic Spectrum support menu system. It asked me what I wanted help with and when I said "CableCARD" it said "OK I understand you're having trouble with your TV". (At that point I hung up.)

I was surprised that Spectrum maintained this national desk for a while after absorbing TWC. In fact I was surprised TWC had the desk to begin with. They told me it employed about 30 people and that's a tremendous expense given the general lack of support for CableCARD exhibited by them. I figure they started it back when it looked like CableCARD's in TV's (not just TiVo's) were going to be a thing.

EDIT: @mdavej , we cross-posted.

16. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Tried that, they didn't have any, they said, and I called support and asked if there was a center within 100 miles I could drive to, I live in the highest population density in Florida and there are several centers) the response was YOU CAN NOT Pick UP A CABLE CARD. ONLY COMES WITH A $50 service call -- 1st attempt the service cable guy just blew me off and lied, saying customer called and cancelled. I did walkin once and did get a card -- they now found how to increase revenue.
    [QUOTE="
    I've always had better luck just walking into a Spectrum store and getting my card and tuning adapter in person. Pairing and activation is a whole other adventure. I'm glad I don't have to mess with any of that stuff anymore.[/QUOTE]

PS: even though I live in the highest population density in Florida, the service SPECTRUM service center is in the ghetto -- don't feel exactly safe going in there. Nice location is much farther away.

17. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Back to Original question, why can't TiVo mount some pressure on cable company for better treatment of their customers :) I would think TiVo has a Bully Pulpit

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    FCC is very clear that self install option is required. So maybe complaint will have some effect on that front as well. Only time they can insist on the service call is if you didn't have cable TV service already.

19. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What pressure could tivo use? To the cableco, tivo is a pita and takes away revenue. Tivo has gone to court for certain claims, but that is expensive and would not increase their revenues on an item like this.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL, not on this planet. You are new to this forum or you would know better. Before digital cable, TiVo didn't have to depend on kludges like CableCARD and Tuning Adapters. They could make a TiVo that would work with most if not all cable systems with little or no cooperation from them. In my mind the correct perspective is that it's lucky that TiVo's have gone on for some ten years with digital cable.