1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is TiVo hacking dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Saturn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Is TiVo hacking dead? I fondly remember poking around with my S1 getting it to do PPP over serial. The S2 was a little trickier, requiring a particular software version and hacked kernel, but still possible. The S3 was a PITA, requiring a modded EEPROM (BIOS?). I modded one of mine so I could hack around the idiotic "do not copy bit" that Time Warner set on every single channel.

Now I've got a TiVo Mini (and a Bolt on the way) and it would be really nice if I could get SSH access to it so I could bridge the Ethernet and MoCa ports and use it as a MoCa bridge, but I don't see that happening.

I never quite understood the Linux community's severe negative reaction to TiVo, but I'm starting to...

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm pretty sure that the Bolt has bridging capability built-in. As do the Roamio Plus and Pro.

3. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Yea, they do, which means it was probably a conscious decision on the part of TiVo to disable it for the Mini. Which also means it is probably about 4 lines of bash script away from being enabled. That way I could use the Mini as a bridge for the TV and/or game consoles near the Mini.

That said, I have 4 MoCa bridges in use already - two Netgear, two MI424s, and a couple more sitting in a box. So I don't NEED to do this hack, but it irks me that can't. :)

4. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    The Tivo was so unique that a large band of hackers was originally attracted. Of course we got lucky with the unique tridge, on whose work so many built. These hackers essentially defined what Tivo and its copiers became.

Simultaneously to virtually all the old hackers losing interest and moving on, Tivo (post-original series 3 and model HD) made hacking lots tougher. There are few benefits to hacking anymore since most of the old hacks are now built in, so new hackers are not highly motivated to take up the craft. There are other solutions to the cci problem.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    More likely they just didn't add the capability.

May I ask why you have so many isolated Ethernet networks?

6. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Bridging network adapters can be done in software via the Linux kernel pretty easily. I don't know if the full units are doing it in hardware or software.

Because I don't have Ethernet run through my house - I use MoCa to link everything together. 3 TVs with 3 (old) TiVos, all have MoCa bridges next to them. The 4th sits next to the main router. The two smart TVs are also hooked to the MoCa bridges because it is faster and more reliable than WiFi.

7. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    I really enjoy Tivo hacking. It's highly technical and very rewarding. With Series 4, the Broadcom Soc used a keyladder mechanism for securing boot, and there hasn't been and way to defeat that yet. I always thought the Premiere would be the a really good hacking platform. Unfortunately, many of the Tivo hackers have lost interest with newer hardware. With Tivo choosing not to activate older boxes, a rewarding hobby is now no more. Defeating the security in newer platforms is much harder, requiring more expensive tools and expertise that before. Some Tivo hackers don't have the hardware expertise to find workable exploits.

All in all, it's a shame. The following and customer base Tivo once had is now dwindling. Choosing not to activate older platforms further distanced Tivo. Tivo hackers wanted to make the Tivo better for everyone. They did. It was hacking that got me into Tivo, and have not used another set top box since Series 1.

videobruce likes this.
  8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It's dead as far as hacking the units themselves. Even rechipping a Series 3 was beyond most people and by then the only thing it really got you was the illegal ability to defeat the CCI byte.

Other development is still going strong. Kevin improves kmttg almost daily and Dan's pyTivo Desktop is just the latest of many client apps. I remember the TiVoWebPlus / TurboNET days, but the tools we have now are much more versatile and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to install or use them. I'm still doing file system development when I can find the time even though 8TB is more than enough for me.

Lacoste likes this.
  9. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    A "PROM'd" Tivo HD can defeat the CCI byte, disable encryption, allow for video extraction (no need to enable TTG or mess with MAK's), caller ID display, and TivoWebPlus to name a few. It also gives access to logs. I was also hacking since the Series 1 Tridge and TurboNET days, and it was super fun. Desoldering and soldering the Tivo HD PROM is a bit much if you don't have the right tools, but it is worth it.

10. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    What's caller ID?

11. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    My guess is not only is it a difficulty issue with hacking the newer units as well as the number of cheaper options available today.

Either I’m talking to myself, or the post I replied to was deleted.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's a nasty rumor floating around that some people only buy TiVos so that they can use them to watch shows on their TV.