Is TIVO going to offer a serios II or II HD TIVO or is ther another solution for cabl

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kenhusa, Aug 4, 2006.

1. kenhusa

kenhusa New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Dallas

Advertisements

I now have digital Comcast cable soon to be Time Warner digital cable (DALLAS Texas). I would like to upgrade to HD ($5 more for box) but I have two series II TIVOs. Is TIVO coming out with a HD recorder that can do standard if I want so I can share with the other 2 series II TIVOs in the house? Or is there another HD solution (That can control a Motorola HD cable box and share caputred programs (not HD) with my other TIVOs?) Also transfer non HD from the other two TIVOs for playback

2. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    TiVo series 3. It will be out soon. Fall is the timeframe.

3. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    The only thing we know about if the upcoming TiVo Series 3. It will NOT work with a cable box. It will use CableCards instead. It will be able to record both SD (analog or digital) and HD (digital by definition), from cable and/or antenna. It will have all the TiVO networking features (including MRV, which you asked about).

I don't think you'll be able to move an HD recording from an S3 to an S2, but SD should be able to go in either direction.

The S3 should be out by the end of the year.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    [​IMG]

Yes. It's called the Series3. It's a CableCard Tivo designed specifically for recording analog, digital and HDTV channels from cable. It will offer all the functionality of the current Series2, including multiroom viewing and transfer -- although obviously you won't be able to transfer HDTV recordings to Series2 Tivos.

It's expected at somewhere between $300 and $800, with release before the holiday shopping season. It replaces your cable box -- it incorporates a dual-tuner cable box and DVR functionality into a seamlessly integrated box. It also adds an off-air tuner to record OTA channels received with an antenna.

You can see a video about it right here.

Discussion of the Series3 HDTV Tivo tends to be found in the TiVo Coffee House forum.

5. kenhusa

kenhusa New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Dallas

Advertisements

Thanks. I read the other posts but did not see this information. It would be nice if there were a feature to have it convert from HD to SD and then send to one of my series II TIVOs. I don't care if it took time to do this (meaning box could not be used for play back during this time. I also like the idea of external storage but it would have been nice for multiple external SATA interfaces (PCs now come with 4 on the motherboard.) Actually I would like the TIVO desktop on my PC to be able to retrieve the HD for the seriex II and SD from series II and for the series II and II to be able to retieve from the desktop. I have a terabyte of storage on the PC.