1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is TiVo going to hooked on phonics now? Odd search results.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rdrrepair, May 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Today I was watching "The Americans" and saw an ad for Fahrenheit 451 (2018) on *HBO. Pausing my commercial, I went in search of this show.

Typing in Faren got me the number one option for what I was looking for. It shouldn't have so I thought that maybe an actor or someone named Faren or perhaps a producer or the likes might have been involved in the making of this movie.

Deciding to test my theory I started to butcher Fahrenheit a bit. Farenheit & Farenheight return what I was seeking as did just 451.

I tried butchering the spelling a bit more but it ignored that. Maybe another language might spell it differently? I delved down into the lead actor, executive producer and only found an English version of this showing.

Faren alone shouldn't have made this number one anyway. So I tried Faren Heit (yes) and Faren Height (no) and had mixed results. I'm stumped unless TiVo is becoming more phonetically adept with their searches.

*Edit

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Count your blessings. You got results. That doesn't always happen.

mrsean and tim1724 like this.
  3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Just sounds like the typical search engine stuff like when google says “did you mean Fahrenheit?”

Good that it did that, actually.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  4. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Many search engines use something like the Soundex algorithm, which is specifically designed to do phonetic matches.

5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I'm not complaining, I'm actually happily surprised they're doing it. The other older versions of Fahrenheit 451 didn't returns result so something is clearly new. Just reporting the newest stuff so that anyone that thinks TiVo is becoming stagnant might start to think twice.

6. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    With that behavior, sounds like keyword additions to the objects that allow for common misspellings. It would be better if it did some permutations on the search entry side.

7. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Do we really want a TiVo Premiere (what I was using) CPU doing any additional permutations? Wouldn't additional keyword searches be more ideal? If TiVo uses one of the other options wouldn't they then have to pay a licensing fee? Would adding additional keyword searches make it easier for the S2 or S3 units?

Would someone with a working S2 & S3 try this out please. If TiVo is making these searches compatible to the older boxes it might make some of the posts about EOL quiet down a little bit. If not, maybe inflame them.:eek:

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I believe searches are now sent to the servers. I’ve seen search break down when the internet is down. Also, I seriously doubt every program on every media is stored on your box. That includes all shows in the guide. All shows on Netflix, etc. All actors, directors, etc.

9. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

search has been been web/internet based for awhile even before hydra

10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes. I didn’t mean to imply hydra. It’s been on line since i came back to TiVo a couple of years ago when bolt was introduced.

11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    So, I just checked my S3 and the search on that is DVR based, it returns only what is the guide. It does not recognize additional tags.

Now I remember that their "TiVo search beta" has been broken for awhile on these boxes

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That makes sense. Older box. Older technique.