Is TiVo Desktop software still available?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area

Advertisements

I want to upgrade a TiVo hard drive. I figure the easiest way to save it current recordings is to copy them to my desktop and then copy back (after the upgrade) with the TiVo Desktop software. Is this software still available? If so, where can I download it?

CalebO likes this.
  2. meoge

meoge New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    I'm going to ask a more general question. What is the difference between Tivo Desktop, PyTivo and KMTTG. Do they all do different things?

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tivo Desktop: Windows-based software directly from Tivo with GUI for transferring Tivo recordings to/from a computer. It's old and hasn't been updated in years.

pyTivo: A third-party program written by Tivo users that can provide access to a library of recordings or other videos, regardless of format, stored on a computer, while presenting a list of said recordings viewable from the Tivo. The user can browse the list of recordings from their TV via the Tivo and the pyTivo software will then perform on-the-fly transcoding of video files which are then downloaded to the Tivo box and immediately viewable from the start.

kmttg: A Java-based program written by forum user moyekj. It's Tivo Desktop on steroids. If you're looking to transfer shows to and from Tivos, this is the program to use. Has numerous other cool features, including several automation options to download and transcode videos for use on mobile devices.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    CalebO likes this.
  5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

For those wondering why the free version was "discontinued", when Windows 8 came out some 3rd party software which Microsoft had included in other versions of Windows (and for which they paid those 3rd parties) was no longer included.

The free version of Desktop relied on some of that software, and so TiVo would have had a support nightmare dealing with Windows 8 users.

It's included in the paid version.

If you're using XP, Vista, or Windows 7, you can still use the free version of Desktop just fine.

Just store your shows on an NT formatted partition, 'cause FAT32 has a file size limit that lops off the last 5 minutes of a 2 hour movie.

6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Just to add a little more to what unitron said, if you have added the Windows Media Center package to Win 8/8.1 the free version of TiVo Desktop will work just fine.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    This is a Python 2 program so you have to install a Python 2 interpreter.

kmttg is a very nice program but does not have the capability to transfer recordings back to the TiVo.

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    TiVo desktop is working fine on my 2 Windows 8.1 PCs and I haven't installed Windows Media Center. What kind of problems should no WMC cause? (And WMC is not hidden. It is obvious it is there. I just checked and don't see it.)

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What model TiVo?

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Good question. If you don't have a Roamio and having done an upgrade on an HD I would disagree. Once you have the drives hooked up properly to copy the TiVo OS, it's real simple to just copy everything following the instructions in the upgrade thread.

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The free version of TiVo desktop relied on some software licensing (which provided support/licensing for various video formats) in Windows to play back the files. My understanding is the base install of Win 8 doesn't have what is needed and unsupported video formats will not play back. Windows media center is one way to get support for more video formats in windows, I am sure there are other ways that happens also. With the paid version of TiVo Desktop, TiVo paid for the licensing to assure all required video formats could be played back.

12. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Perhaps the installation of Windows Essential Codec took care of all that.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo Desktop is still the only 100% way to decrypt .tivo files that are using the TS format. Someone took a stab at updating tivodecode for TS but it's not 100% and can introduce errors into the stream. The DirectShow filter included with TiVo Desktop is the only thing that is guaranteed to decrypt a TS .tivo file correctly.

14. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Since we are on the subject of TiVo desktop, I have a quick question Dan. If I have windows media center on my same PC with TD and I point TD at my media center center Recorded TV folder, it doesn't recognize the media center video format. Is there a way to automagically have my PC convert them to something like an MP4 so the TiVo sees them and can be transferred to it for playback?

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though there is a workaround -- you don't HAVE to download in TS format.. at least currently.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I use VAP and VideoReDo for this. VAP is a folder watch program that can process the WTV files using VRD, then output them to a standard TS along with pyTiVo compliant metadata file. It works pretty well.

You do if the station is H.264, but otherwise you are correct most programs can still be downloaded in the older PS format which is compatible with tivodecode.

17. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Cool, thanks Dan! :)

18. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Is the Tivo Desktop Plus key transferrable? I haven't used mine in a year or two. Would love to pass on to someone else if it's doable.....

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    PM sent--

20. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I have windows 8.1 also, but I also have dvd software on the same pc no issues with the free tivo desktop