Is TiVo compatible with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Kiscode, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009

Advertisements

I have DirecTV and am unable to get a DirecTV DVR (it's complicated). I miss being able to record TV shows. I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions for me:

1. I have an older TiVo, but I was told that it would not work with DirecTV. Is that true?

2. Is it possible to record some other way? For example, could I buy a standalone DVR and hook it up to the TV or would it cause problems with the DirecTV box?

3. Will I lose the ability to record in HD if I hook up a standalone DVR?

I have very basic knowledge of electronics, so I would appreciate if you could answer in layman's terms (in other words, talk to me as if I am a child!).

Thanks!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Any Series 1/2 standalone TiVo works with DirecTV from their box

Yes it will be in SD only, because Standalone DVRs have only SD A/V inputs. If you want to DVR DriecTV in HD, you have no option but the box they provide.

3. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    What if I bought a high definition DVR? Could that work?

4. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    The only high definition DVR that would work would be the one supplied by DirecTV which is not currently a TiVo. There is supposed to be an DirecTV HD DVR with TiVo available sometime next year.

5. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS

Advertisements

We have time. Please explain.

6. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I live in Delaware. DirecTV does not offer the networks (NCB, ABC, CBS) where I live. You have to request a waiver. I have neighbors who have requested waivers and been turned down repeatedly. So I use my brother's address in Maryland as my service address. This allows me to get the channels I want.

However, when I tried to get a DVR set up through DirecTV, the tech went to the Maryland address. When I tried to get DirecTV to send someone to the Delaware address, I was told this could only be done by changing the service address to Delaware (which would mean I would lose the networks channels).

It's ridiculous. I really want to be able to record programs. I have an older TiVo, but it looks like I won't be able to use that with my HD TV and DirecTV box.

I do have an older TV (non-HD) in my bedroom. I think I could probably hook the old TiVo up to the old TV, but I'm not quite sure how to do it while maintaining the connection to the DirecTV box. Any thoughts?

7. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Change your address, got the box, and change it again :D

8. cthomp21

cthomp21 Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Buy a used non-RID Directivo from eBay (something like a Hughes HDVR2), swap in the access card, and use the "722" extension by calling 800-DIRECTV to refresh your services.

Presto! You've got a DirecTV receiver with Tivo built in. The downsides are that it's only standard definition, the equipment is used, and the non-RID receivers are limited to 40 hours (stock) of recording time.

9. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    That's probably what I'll end up doing. It means I won't have the networks for a few weeks while I wait for the installer. What a hassle!

10. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Couldn't I just use the TiVo I already have or do I have to buy a new receiver?

11. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I looked on eBay and found a new DirecTV HR23 HD/DVR. Can I do the same thing with that? (and get high definition)?

12. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you should be able to do that. I suggest that you verify that the HR23 really is "new" from an authorized reseller and not a leased one that someone decided to sell (which you would not be able to activate.) Do you already have a multi-sat dish?

13. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Yes, I have a DirecTV dish already installed.

But I am still not clear on whether I can use my old TiVo with my old TV (non-HD). Can I hook the TiVo to the DirecTV box? I know I won't get HD, but would I get standard?

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Do you have a round dish or an oval one? How many LNBs does it have? In order to use an HR23, you need the newer 5-satellite dish.

Any Series 1 or Series 2 TiVo will work with a DirecTV receiver, even an HD one. You will get SD only.

15. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
  16. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Okay, I connected my Series 2 TiVo to my older, non HD TV. The TiVo is downloading information and appears to be working properly, but I've lost the signal to my DirecTV satellite. I followed connection instructions carefully.

Help!

17. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    How do you have things connected?

You should have the satellite cable(s) connected to your DirecTV receiver, right? Should be obvious but just making sure. Then either coax or RCA cables to the TiVo. Then coax or RCA cables to the TV.

Is the older non HD TV in a different room? Does the satellite cable work in that other room? The TiVo shouldn't affect the connection of the DirecTV receiver to the satellite.

18. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    The older non-HD TV is in the bedroom. It was hooked up to DirecTV and working fine until I started messing with it.

I followed instructions I downloaded from TiVo for setting up a series 2 dual tuner with a cable box. I conected the coax cable coming out of the cable/DirecTV jack on the wall to a splitter. Then I connected two coax cables to the other end of the splitter and connected one to the DirecTV box and one to the TiVo.

I ran composite cables from the Out jacks on the DirecTV to the AV input jack on the back of the TiVo. I then ran composite cables from the AV out jacks on the back of the TiVo to the input jacks on the TV.

Next, I ran a coax cable from the RF Out on the TiVo to the Antenna In connector on the TV.

I used the channel changing IR connector that came with the TiVo. The channel changing is working fine. The TiVo appears to be working. The only problem is I can't get the DirecTV signal anymore.

Can you tell what I've done wrong? Thanks!

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You cannot use a splitter with DirecTV (unless it's a SWM feed and then only with a wideband splitter.) The instructions you followed were for cable only (and then only analog cable.)

Remove the splitter, run the feed from the wall directly to the DirecTV receiver. Composite video and L/R audio from the DirecTV box to the TiVo. Nothing goes to the RF input of the TiVo nor is there any point to the RF connection between the TiVo and TV. You can record or watch only one channel at a time.

20. Kiscode

Kiscode New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Steve,

Thank you. I am reconfiguring now. What does the S video from the DirecTV box run to?