Is this Tivo's fault or ESPNs - or DirectTVs?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dtvtivouser_9292, Jul 29, 2007.

1. dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004

Advertisements

NASCAR race didn't record today, not at all happy. I had checked yesterday to make sure that it was in the to-do list, it was. Just now I looked at the box, hmmmm.... no red LED.... is it over already?

No.

It wasn't recording anything.

I jump to the to-do list, and now I see it say's "this won't be recording because there's another episode within 28 days." Sure enough, there's another showing of the race tommorow.

Here's the kicker, the title is exactly the same. There's no "Delayed" or "repeat" in there at all. So my question is, how does a mistake like this get into the data stream? Is it DirecTV just putting what ESPN gives them, or what?

%(#*#%) like this has been happening for a while now. If I find out that this doesn't happen on cable, I may bolt, the Tivo HD looks pretty good.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It didn't record because there was a showing within the LAST 28 days. It doesn't look forward in time. This is a guide data problem. Blame ESPN.

3. dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004
    OK, this make more sense - but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Obviously, Tivo looks past just the program title. Inside the description there will be bits like (obviously for racing) "qualifying" "practice" and so on. Now, I can't go back in time so I can't look at what the guide data said, but I'm fairly sure it did say "qualifying."

(Walks over to Tivo)

Oh wait, yes I can see the program information as I manually recorded the last bits of the race. Yes, the qualifying and practice sessions were titled differently, and they recorded. That is, "qualifying" was in the title.

So, the race didn't record, even with a unique title that could not have happened within the last 28 days (and if it had, I would have seen it as my Tivo would have recorded it).

So, my question still stands - how does this bad guide data wind up in the stream? Obviously when the Tivo sees 2 episodes close to one another, it has to do something, but why didn't record the first one and leave the second as a dupe?

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    So does it make more Sense or Less Sense? It can only be One or the other not both... :D

5. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...

Advertisements

As Jim said it does not look in the future to determine if it is a duplicate or not. With each program there is a unique episode number assigned to it. If the TiVo see the same episode number then it will not record using the 28 day rule.

The guide information is given to Tribune (zap2it.com) by ESPN. DirecTV just buys the guide information from Tribune.

6. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Maybe the guide folks are just trying to say don't waste your time watching guys make left turns. :)

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Maybe the Guide Folks think you have been watching too much Nascar, and so have decided to limit your viewing of the Sport and force you into watching other programs. LOL :D

8. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Isn't there an option (under season pass) to say "Record, Even Repeats" or something like that?

Look around there, I think there is a tweak you can do to get them all.

But apparently tivo is using the description (or some underlying unique identifer) that says the 28 day old one (or whatever days old) and the most recent one were the same show.

This usually works with a show AND episode.

Like Seinfeld/Little Jerry. (Show/Episode)

It would not record the same episode multiple times. But nascar must be messed up a little or something.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 10
    dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004
    Yes, I could record "All, including repeats" but that's inefficient and records a LOT of dupes.

Again, besides the snarky (OK, I shouldn't have mentioned Nascar but I was trying to be complete in my problem description) comments, I haven't seen anything that really sheds light on this.

Re-read my second post. If there was a show ID, then it didn't record the initial showing. But there was NO showing before the live event, nor was anything recorded, nor was there anything in the To-Do list showing as a won't record BEFORE the live event itself.

To be clear, the first time this program was aired it was live, and it wasn't recording because it said it was a dupe. How could it be a dupe if it was the first time it was being shown? The reason I suspected the looking forward aspect was that I had confirmed that this event was in the to-do list because I've been burned enough times with this sort of thing. Next day, no recording and now it's in the "Won't record" category.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    This can still be blamed on bad guide data. If a previous show had a particular ID and then the next show incorrectly had the same ID it wouldn't record the next one.