Is THIS the same as InstantCake? ~ANSWER QUICK! (eBay)~

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Ctcwired, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Ctcwired

Ctcwired New Member

Sep 24, 2007
  2. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006

Instantcake sold by dvrupgrade.com has Tivo software image + mfstools + scripts that make upgrading easier.

Mfstools is gpl'd software and can be downloaded from online for free.
    I would suggest mfslive.org which has updated mfstools.

Basically, if you have a working Tivo hard drive, you can use mfstools or WinMFS to copy from old to the new. If your original drive is damaged, that's when you need InstantCake or a donor image to create a new Tivo Hard drive.

If that eBay person is selling Tivo image, he/she is not supposed to. I read somewhere that dvrupgrade people are the only authorized dealer to sell Tivo software Image. (Instantcake)

If that person is selling just upgrading software, no one can stop him/her as long as he/she follows gpl license. (Include source code and copy of gpl license).
    But why buy it when you can download it for free.

3. Ctcwired

Ctcwired New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Ok... that is what I was wondering.... I got a TiVo box with NO hard drive and I have an extra 20GB drive to use but I didn't know if that guy on ebay was selling the update software or an actual IMAGE which is what I need.

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I believe it is ok to sell a hard drive with a TiVo image already on it, since there would be no way to prove whether or not it came from a working machine or not. Reselling an image is a definite no no.

5. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    I would buy a new drive and a copy of instant cake. A 20gb drive will not give you much capacity and I doubt you will be happy being able to record ~16 hrs of shows. It sounds like a lot but you would be shocked how fast the unit fills. A 60gb drive can be had for less then $50 and instantcake is only $20.

mark

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You can also get a drive pre-loaded with an OS and ready to go.