Is This The End of Tivo?!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GriffithStrife, Oct 26, 2011.

1. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everyone was worried about a single device killing Tivo but it turns out it will be two devices.

This is a rough mock up of the first device
    [​IMG]

Its called a vcr requires no hard drive runs on these great things called tapes, amazing right I know.

the 2nd device is in a much earlier stage, so no muck ups but it apparently will be called a alarm clock.

I know the tech is still awhile off but I think Tivo is done

:p

2. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I thought it was the Betamax recorder / player?

[​IMG]

3. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    The future is shiny, I like it.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You're both wrong. It's this:

[​IMG]

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There have been numerous "Tivo is dead" threads over the nine years I have been on this forum. At some point, won't one of them be true?

Tivo is not what it once was. They are losing subscribers in droves. They can't keep this train running forever.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Forever is a long time, there are not many products or companies that were hot in 1911 that are still hot now, especially in electronics, non of us know if TiVo will be here 10 or 20 years from now (and I don't think TiVos management knows that answer). When or if the TiVo music stops maybe some people will not have a chair to sit in, but for now I have enjoyed my TiVos for over 10 years and can't worry about whether TiVo will be here another 10 or 30 years from now, as I do know they are here today, that's all I can say for sure. The risk of putting lifetime on my TiVos is nothing like the risk people found when their home dropped 30% to 50% in the market, that was real money, I am sure not many people take out a mortgage on their TiVo-Lifetime purchase.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    And someday, another large object will strike the Earth. Eventually, the Sun will expand and "reduce the Earth to a burned out cinder" or totally consume it. Later, the entire universe may die by one of several possible methods(entropy, runaway expansion, etc.).

Was it really necessary to insert this into a thread obviously meant for amusement?

8. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I know right some people have a hard time just having a little fun, I laughed so hard I choked when I saw the reel 2 reel though. Good one.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Even older than reel-to-reel videotape. It was kinescope.

10. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Actually, it might be the flip book. How long have they been around?

[​IMG]

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :up::D

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...