Is this the correct way to setup MoCA, using the TiVo bridge, for Comcast/Xfinity?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by red.panda, Oct 31, 2017.

1. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017

Advertisements

Drawing (2).png

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If all of your coax is continuous, i.e., connected, you shouldn't need a MoCA adapter/bridge at all. You should be able to use the MoCA builtin to the Bolt that has both Ethernet and coax to create a MoCA network and then connect the second Bolt to that MoCA network.
    Option B if that gateway has MoCA and you can get it enabled, you should be able to just connect both Bolts via the MoCA network. On Comcast you may have to call support and ask them to "whitelist" your modem to prevent them from turning off your MoCA every couple of days.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    "Is this the correct way to setup MoCA, using the TiVo bridge, for Comcast/Xfinity?"

No.

Though, to be honest, if the BOLTs are configured a certain way, the MoCA networking would be functional, if somewhat unorthodox -- but at the expense of most of the functionality of the Bridge-connected BOLT. Aside from other issues, consider that the BOLT connected to the TiVo Bridge via coax would have no connection to the TV signal source. The configuration depicted would be functional for a Mini, which only needs network connectivity, but leaves the BOLT vastly underutilized.

5. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017

Advertisements

I should have said - the reason I am trying this at all is because I am going to be replacing the basement Bolt with a Mini - so I think I will need MoCA, instead of just continuous coax (as fcfc2 notes) for that? This is sort of a test run.

So krkaufman - this would work for a Mini but it would incapacitate the upstairs bolt in doing so? That is what I am working toward - a Mini.

Do you guys know what I would need to alter in this illustration in order to get it to work. Am just a little bit confused about what I am trying to do, after looking at diagram after diagram, and reading instructions.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Honestly, it's difficult to provide an authoritative answer as to what you would need to alter in your diagram to make things work, absent additional information -- as others in the parallel thread have suggested. The diagram doesn't provide a clear understanding of what devices and connections are in each room, or how the two(?) locations may interconnect via coax or Ethernet.

How is that BOLT in the Basement currently connected, both to receive a TV signal and networking?

7. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017
    The Bolt in the basement currently is served by Coax and Ethernet (but the ethernet is over powerline adapter).

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, so Powerline (not really Ethernet, any more than a wireless adapter with an Ethernet port is Ethernet)... and so that needs to go, if possible.

Do you know how the coax connected to the Basement BOLT connects back to the coax connecting to your Upstairs BOLT & cable gateway? Typically there would be a junction box or central location somewhere connecting all the coax runs to the various rooms, with a splitter or amplifier connecting these lines to the incoming signal from the provider.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Likely incorrectly, imagining that you have no central junction box and that the Basement location is linked directly via a coax cable from the upstairs location, as you'd depicted in your original diagram, the attached diagram shows ONE way your devices could be connected, and which would work for the current Basement BOLT or a Mini.

rp alt1.png
    The Upstairs BOLT would be connected via Ethernet to the cable gateway and configured as a MoCA bridge, and the Basement BOLT or Mini would be configured as a MoCA client.

Again, this is just an EXAMPLE! We need more information to suggest how you should ACTUALLY connect and configure your devices, including the brand and model number of your cable gateway device.

10. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017
    This ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Residential Gateway is what I have, almost certain.

http://a.co/dxbGIZE

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And here's a SECOND way you might connect your devices, with a more traditional central junction splittter -- noting that the "PoE" MoCA filter has been moved, accordingly.

rp alt2.png

12. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    At the router/modem location, you would have the MoCa Adapter.
    1. Split the coax from the wall inlet, if it has no additional coax, before the modem. Add a POE filter to the top of splitter.
    2. 1 leg of the splitter goes to a MoCa Adapter's coax.
    3. Ethernet port of MoCa goes to a LAN port of router.
    The Tivo location needs nothing but the coax for cable. You may need to enable MoCa in the Tivo.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No need for a MoCA adapter (TiVo Bridge), since the BOLT could handle the MoCA/Ethernet bridging. (The gateway may also be capable of establishing the MoCA network, rather than the BOLT.)

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you verified this is the correct model number ... TG862G-CT ?

If so, this gateway doesn't have MoCA functionality, per the user guide:

https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.com...wireless_gateway/HOW5220_TG862_User_Guide.pdf

... so the BOLT would need to be your MoCA bridge, unless you're leasing the gateway from Comcast, in which case you should be able to demand an upgrade to an XB3 class gateway or whatever is the latest.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  15. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I think that's correct, krkaufman (the model #). So I can still use your diagrams, right (thank you so much for those!), but I just need to enable MoCA on the upstairs TiVo, whereas I wouldn't have had to otherwise, yes? And is there any advantage then to adding in a Tivo Bridge? Especially considering I am going to swap the downstairs Bolt out with a Mini somewhat soon?

16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You do not need to add another MoCa because its built-in.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Only one way to be sure, and it should only take a couple minutes to snap a pic of the info label on the gateway.

Also, do you own the gateway or is it leased from Comcast?

As stated when the first diagram was posted...
    The diagrams are logically correct but were put together without any info on how your rooms actually connect to each other or to the incoming cable signal. That information remains unknown, to this point.

Correct that the Upstairs BOLT *could* have been setup strictly as an Ethernet client, with MoCA disabled, had the gateway been able to establish the MoCA network; however, it needs to be stated that the Upstairs BOLT will now not just have MoCA enabled:

Whether you have a BOLT or Mini in the Basement is moot since they'll both need a MoCA connection.

To keep things simple, I'd recommend just using the Upstairs BOLT as your MoCA bridge, as previously detailed.

That said, budget allowing, some might prefer to use a standalone MoCA adapter at the modem/router location, to avoid the Internet connection loss for MoCA clients that would otherwise occur whenever the BOLT is rebooting or offline if it was the bridge.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  18. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Interesting ok, some of this has gone a little bit over my head. But I successfully set up MoCA, with your help!

krkaufman likes this.
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good to hear.

Any feedback on your final solution, how you opted to implement MoCA?