Is this new?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jordanz, Jun 28, 2007.

1. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA

Advertisements

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070628/tc_nm/tivo_comcast_dc_1;_ylt=Am2lKcTlNI6nH4KrAp9SxVcE1vAI

"TiVo says Comcast accepts software for DVRs"

I didn't know this was coming. This is big news for me. I just sent an email telling DirecTV that I'll probably be switching to Comcast.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The deal was announced last year. What we don't know is "when" this will show up in customer homes. This latest announcement of Comcast's acceptance of the software is good, though. That means release is near.

3. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Man - I can't flipping wait. I've been with D* from the very start, but I'll jump ship immediately if I can get a Tivo with the latest software on it that I know will be supported into the future.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    If you want to dump D* and go to Cable anyway, check out the Series 3 Tivo.

5. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA

Advertisements

My problem with the Series 3 is: a) it's very expensive; b) it requires a Cablecard. The Cablecard is the worst part. If use Cablecard I lose a lot of the Comcast features: VOD, etc.

6. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    If
    this means Comcast has tested the software provided by TiVo, Inc. and found that is meets specifications this is truly a red letter day. Finding the Com-TiVo-rola software 'acceptable' would mean that all aspects of function/form/delivery are working and ready to distribute beyond whatever in house and beta tester community they currently have.

Getting prepared for the delivery to customers in 'the wild' would seem to be the next logical step of the introduction process. Excellent news if you are in the selected rollout area...

Looks like it may be time for a Com-TiVo-rola forum...

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    True. It's clear you've done your homework.

8. SuperRob

SuperRob TiVolution Army

Nov 27, 2000
    Bothell,...
    From BetaNews:

"Due to specific Comcast and hardware requirements, the interface differs greatly from TiVo's standalone offerings, but the basic features are the same."

The interface is a BIG part of what makes a TiVo a TiVo. That's somewhat disappointing. Probably has to do with the fact that the Motorola hardware is just too underpowered. Still, if the TiVo software is more reliable, that'll be a big step forward on its own.

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Comcast VOD is so incompatible with TiVo that I've removed Channel 0 from Channels I Receive and have hidden the Comcast remote. Give me that Series 3 and a cable card.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I think you misinterpreted the comment. Comcast wasn't satisfied with the Tivo software as it is on the Series3. They demanded improvements, or at least, what they felt were improvements.

You can see screenshots of the December 2006 build of the Comcast Tivo software here:

http://www.tivolovers.com/photos/ces2007-tivo-photos/

Hopefully, some of the interface improvements will make their way to the Tivo Series3.

11. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    That''s got nothing to do with cable cards, the TiVo is incompatible with them anyway. If you want VOD etc, you can use a Comcast cable box. I've never found anything on VOD worth worrying about.

12. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    really? i found all 11 episodes of planet earth and all of the star wars movies in hd well worth it. VOD rules, its like one giant dvr.

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The only thing that really stands out to me there is the PIP -- something which, admittedly, a lot of people want; but if that ever comes to the mainstream Tivo, there'd better be an option to turn it off. (I wonder if there is on the ComcasTivo?) Most of the changes seem arbitrary to me, not improvements -- all they'd do is interfere with the familiarity people have with the existing interface.

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I think there might be some confusion stemming from the use of the word "interface". The TiVo interface really exists at two levels: The feature functionality and the tactile interaction layer. I bet a good bit of the feature functionality will be there, but the tactile interaction layer has got to be a reflection of the underlying hardware -- that's an unequivocal reality of electronics technology.

15. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    +1

If I turn on the ComcasTiVo and I see spoilers for Survivor, I will be pissed. They had better put an option in the to turn it off.

16. surge

surge New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Atlanta
    The only problem I have with VOD through my TiVo is since TiVo is always buffering, there is about a 1-second delay for the keypresses showing up on the VOD menu.

I use it to watch all of the HBO shows and it's great for the kids.

17. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    If you don't already have a Comcast cablebox, you'll need a CableCARD with any new box as of 7/1. So the question is... Is TiVo software running on newer Motorola boxes too or is the initial rollout only an upgrade to 6412 Motorola hardware? At CES all I saw was 6412 hardware - but obviously that was some time ago.

You can pause the video feed from the menus by hitting the pause button.

18. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    That has nothing to do with his concern for features not accessible via 3rd party CC based devices. Older cable boxes will still be available anyway.

19. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    That's not necessarily true, but irrelevant.

The software will run on both the DCT-series and DCH-series boxes.

20. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Now if only Comcast covered this area I may be interested. But we have the most crappiest Cable company around, and they are the only option. :(