Is this new or a glitch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by schatham, Apr 16, 2017.

1. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007

Advertisements

Last night my 4 tuner Roamio was recording 3 shows and I was able to watch live TV on my Mini. Live TV was not one of the recorded shows. I have never been able to do this before. I always got a message all tuners are in use.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Was one of the recordings being done on a tuner that was in use by the host before recording began? That's my best guess.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah the host doesn't have to have a free tuner, it just needs a tuner. So you have have 4 Minis watching live TV all at once. But you can have 3 even if the tuner left for the host is being used to record. This is because the option to cancel a recording if it wants to change the channel on it's tuner.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Possible. I did not know it worked that way. What would happen if the main Tivo channel was changed? At that point would it take it from the mini?

Do mini's have a hierarchy. In other words does one mini over rule the other or just the first mini in use gets the tuner.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

The user trying to change the channel on the main TiVo would get a prompt telling them that the tuner is currently recording with an option to cancel the recording and proceed with the channel change. Same way it works if all tuners are recording and you try to change the channel.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Like one ring to rule them all? :D Sorry, too many Lord of the Rings commercials today. But I have a basic Roamio and one Mini in a situation that repeats every day. I always have the same channels on the same tuners every day. In the morning, when I put the Mini on-line, there is no pattern to which tuner it will get. It does seem that on day 1 after a host restart I get tuner 0, but after that it's random as far as I can tell.

I have another Roamio and three more Mini units.