Is this Comcast sales rep blowing smoke up my you know what?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by emkorial, Jun 29, 2011.

1. emkorial

emkorial Member

Jan 7, 2009
    So I am considering moving to Comcast because of the price vs Fios.

So I go on thier online chat, and start asking the guy about thier offerings, and rental fee's. He says the first box is free, and cable cards are free. I mention I have 2 HDTV's, 2 SDTV's, and 2 Tivo's. So I would be charged for 3 boxes, everything else is free.

I then ask about the whol On Demand thing on Tivo, he checks, and says it is available in my area (northern DE). I ask him how it works, he said the installer sets it all up. I ask him if I would need new Tivo's, he said no(!!). Although I never mentioned I currently have TivoHD's, not Tivo Premieres. And he said there was no extra charge, and I would not need HD STB's for those TV's, I could just use the free Cable Cards and the Tivo gives me all the the OnDemand.

this sounds too good to be true, and frankly doesn't sound possible to make this work using two exisitng TivoHD's, I thouhgt you had to buy two new Premieres for this to work. And I thought only the first CC was free and the second cost $$.

Any comments?

2. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I'd bet money that when you said "Tivo" he was thinking you meant "Comcast DVR".

3. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    +1

The chat reps I've used with Comcast the last several times I've contacted them were, to put it politely, less than knowledgeable, even about Comcast's own products and services(cablecard and phone service being two particularly confusing topics for them, apparently).

4. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Get it in writing. Well, wouldn't bet the farm on getting anything in writing from them, except of course for an incorrect bill...

Last I knew, Comcast charges varied somewhat by area, but if you used a cablecard, the first one was free if you didn't have a Comcast STB. After that, they charged for each cablecard, and each "digital outlet" as well. This could be the case where you are, or not.

Was he blowing smoke up your you-know-what? Literally hard for smoke to be transmitted over the phone lines :) but it is good you're questioning this. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is...

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    He may have been confusing TiVo's "inherent" OnDemand system (e.g. Amazon, Blockbuster) with Comcast's own OnDemand. Unless one side or the other made some major changes recently, you can't access Comcast's OnDemand services (which include PPVs) without a Comcast STB of some sort.

The last time I looked, you could not just call Comcast, order a PPV, and then tune the TiVo to the PPV channel (usually something like 801) and expect it to show up. Anybody know if this has changed somehow?

6. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Ask comcast about their "additional outlet fees". I bet they forgot to mention them to you, but they still apply.

7. bigwest60

bigwest60 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    http: // comcast.com/tivo/

8. bigwest60

bigwest60 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    http // tivo.com/products/source/cable/tivo-comcast/index.html

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Are you in the Boston area?

10. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, that's a failed experiment that both TiVo and Comcast no longer intend to roll out.

Instead, Comcast will support retail TiVo DVR's and will allow Comcast subscribers who have TiVo Premiere devices to access Comcast's Video on Demand services at some undefined date in the future.

While this announcement is welcome, I wouldn't hold my breath until Comcast lets you access VOD on a retail DVR.

11. emkorial

emkorial Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Well, I did think he might have been confusing Tivo with the comcast DVR, but I specifically asked if I would not need a Comcast STB and only cable cards, and he said yes.

This was on the internet livechat, so I actually do have a transcript.

Here's the relevant portion of the conversation:

12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you call back, I bet you'll get a different answer.

13. emkorial

emkorial Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I wouldn't take that bet since I agree, but I'll give them a call tonight and speak to a live person and see what they say.

However, I can assume that at the very least, I would need to buy 2 Tivo Premieres to replace my Tivo HD's, correct?