Is this a violation of FCC rules?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jstaso, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 41
    jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    I have Digital Premier package with Comcast and am supposed to get all premier channels. I stopped getting the two TMC channels. In a chat room with a service rep, it was said that I only could get these channels if I rent a Comcast box for $15.95/month, but not through my TiVo Elite box with cablecard. Is this a violation of FCC cablecard rules?

2. Feb 4, 2012 #2 of 41
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Assuming that those are regular scheduled channels and not OnDemand then it's a violation of FCC rules. They're required to provide you with all scheduled programming. You may need a tuning adapter if they use Switched Digital Video.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

3. Feb 4, 2012 #3 of 41
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I don't know if this is related, but the coincidence is amazing...

I also have the everything package from Comcast, and have had TiVos for years (S2, S3, Elite). About 2-3 years ago, TMC stopped working. At the time, it was on my two S3s. Everything else worked flawlessly, but no TMC. I talked to CSRs to no avail; they could never figure out why those channels, and only those channels, would not work.

Hooked up my Elite a couple months ago. Same problem. Spent 15 minutes or so on the phone; again, no luck.

I haven't pushed very hard, because (and this is pure laziness speaking) I don't really watch anything on TMC. They have no original series, or anything else unique. So I live with it.

Amazing coincidence, eh? Why just that channel?

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 41
    gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    i have the exact same issue with time-warner (n. tx) where they say that i can't receive hd nat'l geo wild w/o their box even though i have the 'platinum' pkg.

[later note: if it matters, i can get that channel on the sd tier--just not the hd tier]

/guy

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 41
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless something has changed recently, Comcast doesn't use SDV. However, On Demand is a possibility. There is a TMC On Demand. Doesn't really make sense for there to be two of them though.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #6 of 41
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Is there a TMC in standard def and a TMC in high def? :rolleyes:

7. Feb 5, 2012 #7 of 41
    AnthonyWeiner

AnthonyWeiner New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Someone there changed something and you (and maybe others) got kicked off those channels.

They are full of crap and don't know what they are talking about.

Threaten them with the FCC and the local franchise authority. Tell them you know the rules, blah blah....don't worry they are VERY used to being yelled at, It IS Comcast, after all. Just don't swear.

If necessary, ask for a manager and then threaten again. You will get "please hold" and a few minutes later.. some answers. Someone who knows about TiVo and CC's will tell them what to do or take over the situation.

This is ALL assuming you are talking about regular channels and not talking about "On demand", however.

Remember, CSR's just read off a card/terminal, they don't know what a TiVo is and assume you are just another idiot. So they tell you you need a box, like everyone else.

This is one BIG reason TiVo has so few direct (retail?) owners.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #8 of 41
    andrewturko

andrewturko New Member

May 5, 2011
    Just to add to the conversation, I've noticed on my last bill that Comcast stated they are removing TMC HD & TMC XTRA HD.

It's most likely to make room for more VOD content, so don't expect this to be the last removal of a premium channel. It's def not something to do with the contract agreement because I can still get the SD channels. I'm not sure if you're only referring to HD or both HD & SD, I just thought I'd add my .02.

Because the above may not be true for your market, if you truly do have the "Premier" Package and not the "Complete" Package, then you shouldn't be receiving TMC anyway.

Google: Comcast Triple Play Bundles (can't post links as of yet, I'm new here)

And, btw, every channel you receive on a Comcast DSTB should also be received on a CableCard (aside from Tru2Way content, although Comcast VOD is coming).

9. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Piggyback - I have a bundled service with Brighthouse Birmingham. All 3 online techs I chatted with today stated that if I wanted to swap my Brigthouse DVR for a cablecard I would lose my bundled service and my costs would go way up. They were all nice, but they all stated that was their policy. Before I go all crazy and file a complaint with the FCC in addition to calling their president, they can't do this right? At most they can charge me 3.95 a month for a cable card is my understanding...

10. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    LOL!! Yea, cause threatening a CS rep with reporting them to the FCC won't make you sound like "just another idiot" :rolleyes:

11. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Not only do they have to let you have the bundle, they're supposed to give you a credit for the cost of the bundled equipment that you're not using. Worst case you should be able to put their box in a closet and pay the Cablecard rental.

Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(D)

12. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    If nobody complains the the FCC when cable companies violate CableCARD rules things will never get any better. If nobody complains then the FCC has no reason not to believe the cable companies when they tell them that consumers are thrilled with their service.

The FCC specifically said in their last report and order that they were making it easier for consumer to complain about CableCARD service so they could find out about cases just like this.

Discouraging people is not helping anyone.

13. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Worst case is an A/O fee since I have a box. But I'm pissed, and I've already made a FCC complaint, written the president of customer care and will generally just raise hell til I win. But most people won't do this. The power of lobbying in action I suppose....

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Other people, including myself have filed complaints with the FCC. AFAICT, the only result was that some were contacted by their provider, who proceeded to inform the complainant exactly how the provider was in full compliance with the FCC regulations.

The FCC saying they are making the complaint process easier reminds of those used car ads that state "all credit applications accepted".

15. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It's clear as day in the FCC guidelines, they can't take away bundle pricing b/c you want to use a cable card instead of their box. It may take a year, it may take a bunch of my time, I may never actually get a cable card but there is no way I'm just going to turn away and say ok you win when they are being this brazen.

16. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    There's a difference between "threatening a CS rep with reporting them to the FCC" and actually filing a complaint.

The former is likely to make you sound like "just another idiot" to the CSR, the later might (eventually) get the FCC to take action. But, at best, the CSR might be able to give you a exemption to the (non-compliant with FCC rules) policy; they've got no reach to change the policies, and likely no interest in whether the policy is compliant in the first place.

17. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Good luck with all that...

All I was pointng out was threatening a "clueless" CSR about something that's "not in their script" accomplishes nothing but laughter and ridicule.

You guys take yourselves WAY to seriously.

Just saying....

PS: Fly's and Honey....

18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    ^^This.

Comcast does not have channels that are available on a box only. That's illegal, and illogical. They are either removing the channels, like posted above, or it is a technical glitch. Probably removing them. It may be for bandwidth reasons, it may be for a whole host of other reasons. Considering that they currently have open QAM's on 860mhz systems, unless your system is less than 860mhz, then it's unlikely it's just for capacity.

19. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'm not sure if this is similar, but this past Thursday, I started not being to receive three Starz HD channels -- Starz Kids and Family (788), Starz Cinema (789) and Starz in Black (796). This was only on my two TiVos (HD and Premiere) -- on my third TV using just a Mediacom cable box, they come in fine. What comes up is the gray/black cablecard screen. But, what's interesting is that when I call up the program info for those channels (even though there's no video/audio) it says this -- "The copyright holder of this program permits viewing at less than high definition using component outputs." I am able to view all other Starz HD channels in my package; just not these three.

I am using HDMI cables on the TiVo boxes and component on the Mediacom box. But, even when I hooked up one of the TiVo boxes with component, I was still unable to receive those three. I've been in discussion with Mediacom to no avail and a tech is scheduled to come out Tuesday. But this sounds to me like something Starz has done.

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Their CableCard is screwed up.