Is this a scam using TiVos as a piggyback?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1 of 21
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

My wife got this email promising a $50 Amazon gift certificate and starting to install it on her iPad. Luckily she mentioned to me and I stopped her.

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. Jan 9, 2016 #2 of 21
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Call TiVo and find out

3. Jan 9, 2016 #3 of 21
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    You are correct to be cautious. My first instincts would be to think this is a scam also.

However, the more I read it, the more legitimate it sounds. If it is scam they are using strategies that don't count on the stupidity of people.

Basically the grammar is too good. I don't see any of they typical errors that I see in these types of things. Also, the details are crafted too good.

4. Jan 9, 2016 #4 of 21
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Definitely would investigate before installing.

Not sure how the app is going to know you are watching those events.

5. Jan 9, 2016 #5 of 21
    SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs

Advertisements

FYI your wife's email address is in the body of the post, might want to delete that.

6. Jan 9, 2016 #6 of 21
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't think they need TiVo's permission or co-operation to try to survey TiVo watchers, so it might be legit even if TiVo, Inc. has never heard of them, but those web site addresses smell newly acquired, they don't load a page that further explains and gives you a button to click to download the app, it just starts downloading, and the contact email address is apparently a different domain, and even if it's legit-ish, who knows how much of your processor power it's going to hog.

7. Jan 9, 2016 #7 of 21
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I just clicked your link on my linux box. The first one was an attack. The next two wanted to install software.

My first go around is the same as waynomo, seems and sounds legit, but... I wouldn't go there with my Windows machine.

8. Jan 9, 2016 #8 of 21
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I wouldn't mess with it although it is probably what it indicates, a research study.

9. Jan 9, 2016 #9 of 21
    rjmitche

rjmitche Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Does your wife participate in the TiVo Research Panel (or TiVo Advisors Panel or whatever it's called)? I could be mistaken but, I seem to remember something about a special study that sounded a lot like what the email is referencing. I don't think I qualified because I said I wasn't planning on watching something specific (Golden Globes maybe?).

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely a scam which could scramble and hold your computers hostage for money and they will not unscramble even if you paid.

11. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Pretty sure it's legit.

The most recent January Tivo Survey I got a few days ago invited people to join this study if they were planning to watch the upcoming award shows on E! Entertainment and others. If chosen and you participate, you get a $50 Amazon card.

12. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, that is what she said it was. But I am not a huge fan of installing spyware.

13. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Given the URLs in the letter I can guarantee you would get malware. I hope nobody tries this at home!

14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    IMHO, it is pure SCAM with red flags galore. They must have gotten a hold of TiVo's customer list and then send out the scam. Please, they are SO desperate for you to load this on every PC and mobile device you have. Place this email in the Junk Folder.

15. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Oh yeah, definitely wouldn't do it until I had Mikey try it to see if it was safe.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I would email TiVo advisor or forward it to Margret to see if they know anything about it.

17. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Notice that on the analyzeme.net homepage at the bottom it shows:

Understand yourself, and begin your journey to improvement with AnalyzeMe.
    FAQ | Terms & Conditions | Privacy
    Server version: 1.97.5828.12688 (12/16/2015 7:02:56 AM)