Is this a power supply issue?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by McTivo, Aug 31, 2006.

1. McTivo

McTivo New Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Evanston, IL

Advertisements

I've had an HDVR2 for 3 or 4 years now. When I originally purchased the unit, I replaced the hard drive with a bigger Weaknees drive. It's worked great until the past few months, when it started freezing about once a week, requiring me to unplug it and plug it back in. A couple of weeks ago, it started doing this daily, causing me to miss recordings more often than I had been.

All this time while I've been having the problem, I figured it was a failing hard drive. So yesterday I swapped the hard drive that was in the machine (the upgraded one from Weaknees) and replaced it with the original hard drive that came with the unit. After doing that, the HDVR2 won't boot up at all. All I get is a soft ticking noise from the unit (I can't tell if it's coming from the hard drive or the power supply). I swapped back the Weaknees hard drive and I get the same thing. It still won't boot up.

Does this sound like a power supply issue? Do you think a new power supply would solve this problem? And is Weaknees the only vendor out there that sells power supplies for the HDVR2? See:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Thanks in advance for any input. Although this is my secondary Tivo, there are a lot of recordings on it that I'd hate to lose.

McTivo

Edit: Not that it matters, but I just remembered that the replacement drive I orderd years ago was from Hinsdale, not Weaknees.

2. ClemSole

ClemSole New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    when you swaped the hard drive back to the old one make sure the ribbon cable is in securly on both ends and in correctly.

3. McTivo

McTivo New Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Evanston, IL
    Thanks, I did a check of both ends and made sure they were secure. If I get a few people here that agree with me that it's most likely a power supply issue, I will order the replacement power supply for $49.

4. Ingavar

Ingavar New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Portland, OR
    :confused:
    I had a problem with my Hughes hdvr2. It started to power up (re-boot) by itself and would get to the "powering up, please wait...." gray screen and stop.
    I read many forums here and decided to get a new hard drive from PVTupgrade. A ready to go replacement drive.
    I put it in and powered it up. The same gray screen, "powering up, please wait.....". :eek: I unplugged again and plugged back in and it worked. :cool: Two days later it started the re-booting again, the gray screen. :(
    PVTupgrades wants me to send them the box for a $75 "recert" stating they think I may have fried the unit. I have built several computers and I think I may know how to plug in cables but I guess it is possible.
    My question is could this be the power supply in your opinions? I am willing and able to replace the power supply but I need some expert guidance so I am not just throwing good money after bad. :eek:
    Thanks for any help you may give me. :up: