Is there anything on the market that gives a Tivo-like experience for an over-the-air DVR without a

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Aplam, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Aplam

Aplam New Member

Jan 8, 2019
    So far I've explored live streaming and recording OTA broadcasts directly on my computer via an EyeTV (and using a Roku / Apple TV to get the content on my screen) and also a Simple.TV unit (w/Roku) ... and both solutions have come up short of perfect. Here's my current criticisms;

Live TV support is laggy and can take a while to stabilize a decent quality stream.

Channel switching is slow. Channel guides are kinda terrible.

Forward/Reverse skipping is painful (can even lack preview frames showing you any info about where you are in the stream)

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So why not use a TiVo for OTA? :) Not sure what the remainder of your subject line is supposed to be ("without a" what?).

Scott

Saturn_V, wxfisch and krkaufman like this.
  3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Kodi and (I think) Plex both have Live TV and DVR plug-ins available. I can't vouch for them, though.

-KP

4. contsole

contsole New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    The old Premeire XL with 2 tuners works great with an antenna as does the modern Roamio OTA 1T 4 tuner unit. I have and use both. Friends always ask why don't I just stream? Obviously they have not experienced instantaneous rewind, fast forward, commercial skip and the entire "Tivo Experience."

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    No.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. vike

vike New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Maybe it's genius, maybe it's just giving a damn about the experience, maybe (most likely) it's patents, but so far NO DVR-ish device that I've used or watched in use provides a "TiVo-like experience". Guides and apps and other doodads vary, and some DVRs (e.g., Xfinity X1) have gotten quite good, but when it comes to the viewing and playback control experience, comparing TiVo to anything else is like comparing a sports car to a riding mower.

Given that, I always recommended the Roamio OTA to cord-cutters, especially when it hit $400 (and often less) all-in. For $100 more All-In, I guess the Bolt OTA is a fair enough replacement, and at $70/yr. for a combined service and protection plan (replacing a broken unit for $50+tax&shipping), even the subscription makes sense given the half-price cost up front ($250). Given the TiVo's overwhelmingly superior user experience and "it just works" pre-configured package, I still think it's the best value in OTA DVRs or build-it-yourself solutions. Unless you're the kind of inveterate tinkerer who loves building and tweaking your own setup, just buy a TiVo. Seriously.

Slightly off topic, it's probably worth mentioning that CABLE TiVos are another matter. Given the more than doubled cost for the service/protection package ($150/yr) and the ready availability of nicely-integrated DVR solutions in most high-end cable packages, TiVo's value has become rather doubtful. The best I can say is it's an affordable luxury, but if you're even idly pondering cutting the cord, it's a very questionable investment. If spending a few hundred up front and half that again every year for the service contract on an improved DVR is an ignorable expense for your household, enjoy - it's just unlikely to be worth it for most folks.