Is there any way to put PC-to-Tivo files in folders?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Hcour, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

The last thread I could find on this subject was a couple of years old, so I thought I'd check. I thought I'd read somewhere that there was a program that could do this, but I can't remember what it was or if I misunderstood what I'd read.

Thanks,
    Harold

2. Oct 1, 2009 #2 of 51
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You mean a way to make it so when you browse your PC on the TiVo the files show up in folders instead of just one big list? If so then the answer is to use pyTiVo instead of TiVo Desktop. It has the ability to display your files in the same folder structure you have them in on the PC.

Dan

3. Oct 1, 2009 #3 of 51
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
  4. Oct 1, 2009 #4 of 51
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There are two ways to do this with pyTivo:

1. Using "pull" (transfers started from the TiVo): You must add a valid seriesId to the metadata, and you can only group with existing shows.

2. Using "push" (transfers started from pyTivo): You can create arbitrary groups.

5. Oct 2, 2009 #5 of 51
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

Ok, thanks guys.

How does one "push" from PC to Tivo? I've searched but can't find it and when I installed pyTivo I haven't seen any kind of interface.

6. Oct 2, 2009 #6 of 51
    reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
  7. Oct 2, 2009 #7 of 51
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    The push feature is not enabled by default. You have to first set your tivo_username and tivo_password in the Server section of the config.

8. Oct 2, 2009 #8 of 51
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    How do you create arbitrary groups? I couldn't find this feature??

9. Oct 2, 2009 #9 of 51
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Through metadata... files with the same seriesId or seriesTitle will be grouped, with the folder name based on the seriesTitle or title of the first one pushed.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

If one were to Push the first item with a made up seriesId and then pulled subsequent items with the same id would they all be grouped together?

(I'll try it myself when i get a chance- but curious if the answer is already known)

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    You'd have to use the seriesId as it ends up on the TiVo, which in the case of a push is not the one you put into the metadata file. Even then, it might not work; I dunno.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Or Galleon.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    sorry to be thick :eek:

but are you saying if I push a file the tivo will assign it a seriesId? (independant of what i want i might have put in the metadata for that file).

So could I just push a file and then extract it to get the seriesId that Tivo assigned? (But I think I'll try that...). I haven't experimented with pushing yet and just tried but can't seem to get it to work- so i guess i need to go read on that subject some. :)

Basically I want to burn all our DVD's to server that runs pytivo. And I want my kids and wife to be able to just browse off the tivo (too complicated to show them a browser to push). But I dont want to have umpteen entries in NPL of dvd's they pulled up. So I'd like to have be able to assign a few series ID's asigned to the various metadata files. So that DVD's pulled up would wind up in different folders - maybe "animation DVD's" or "Disney DVD's" and the like.

I've read some are using the paid programing (or other such always there things) seriesId in order to group pulled files. But it seems when you pull a file that tivo looks up the seriesId and uses the name it has in it's database rather than the name from the metadata on the file. Or maybe is there a way to rename paid programming to something else I want even though the seriesId is in the tivo database already?

14. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I think it's actually assigned by a server at TiVo Inc. But, yeah.

15. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Pushing to arbitrary groups works, but currently it sorts by the date you pushed (most recent on top) inside the created group folder. I've created a crude calculator to create a "recorded-on date" to trick Tivo into sorting by that date which causes the items to be alpha-sorted to the first six characters. But it needs the "time" metadata tag to be included in the push feature which I believe wmcbrine said he was going to work on (but have not heard back an official word on that yet).

What was said here is quite interesting however-- that the Tivo reassigns its own created seriesId (if I'm reading the above right) when you push an arbitraty seriesID value. However, I've found that anything I push is listed as "protected" and I can't get to the file once it's pushed.

Does anyone know if one can browse the tivo filesystem (such as using the WeaKnees MFSTool 2.0 bootCD) and get access to recorded programs that way? If so, if it would support figuring this problem out I'd be willing to help do that (push a bunch of files and manually 'extract' them back off the HDD). I'm not sure if that's exactly necessary though if other things like 'time' etc can get implemented with pushing..

I have also seen a script that extracts the seriesId list currently in the tivo-- I haven't tried that, but it might be worth an investigation..

..dane

16. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Quoting myself to say that I found a post from wmcbrine on pytivo's forum that says:

so it looks like it is in fact being worked on..

woot! :)

..dane

17. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    I pushed several media files with pyTivo to a forced arbitrary folder, and then used wmcbrine's python script to extract the seriesId's currently used in your NPL, and this is what I found:

Pushed default.txt
    seriesId : MOVIES__KIDS
    seriesTitle : 1. Movies (Kids)
    isEpisode : true

extracted seriesId values
    BS1761749840 1. Movies (Kids)
    SH730219 Charlie & Lola
    SH01170249 Dinosaur Train

So that backs up what wmcbrine said about the tivo reassigning the seriesId value to pushed content....

So then I went back and edited the "default.txt" file and changed the seriesId line to the one reported back from the python seriesId extraction script so that it looked like this:

new "default.txt"
    seriesId : BS1761749840
    seriesTitle : 1. Movies (Kids)
    isEpisode : true

and went into the Tivo and tried to "pull" an item from the pyTivo server to see if it would bring it into the grouped folder in the NPL... unfortunately, it did NOT. :(

Oh well..

..dane

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    bummer- i was hoping that would work but hadn't got around to trying myself.

19. sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    Hey just bumping this because I think? That I encountered a similar problem..
    I have a kids show my kid watches on the tivo and I wanted to cut the commercials out etc....So I grabbed a show with FFmpeg and converted it to mpeg2. I cut out the commercials...using windows movie maker (just to test before going to something more robust) and recomb them to a wmv w/ the HD parameters. I then used the tivo text metadata file from the original grab and renamed it the same as the wmv. I then pushed that to the tivo w/ pyTiVo...and the resulting show had all the correct info, but it didn't put it in the original folder. It left it out on it's own as a single episode...The tivo (series 3) didn't group it in the same folder. I want it to go to the same folder so I can do play all and have it just play these shows consecutively...I am guessing that maybe during the push it gave it it's own series id, diff from the one in the original show metadata..

I have been brainstorming and wondering if i grab the CF show i just pushed and then pull it back again with a fresh copy of the metadat.txt and the newly grabbed .tivo version of the .wmv...hmm...if that would then put it in the right folder...

Thanks for input... :)

20. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Once you push a video to the DVR, that show is mark copy protected. However, if you push another video using the same seriesID in the metadata file, a folder will be created with the two pushed shows in it.

I think that's what happens, too.