Is there any software that can use the external usb port for hard drive or other uses.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by garydellerman, Jun 18, 2018.

1. garydellerman

garydellerman New Member

Dec 20, 2017

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is software or some type of firmware that can take an external hard-drive using the usb port on the Roamio OTA ... to record or do other tasks.

I mostly have been using the internal hard drive for recording, but , figured some of you long time TIVO pro's have figured out how to use the usb port on this device.

Point me in the right direction, or say ... "it's not possible" , or "sure ... here is what you need". :)

2. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Like a USB powered Linux clock that shows the time that the TiVo sees?

Oh how i wish this was April 1st. :D

Phone charger or a USB fan perhaps? I personally wouldn't use it for that. It's intended purpose is for an external Wi-Fi connection or a dongle for a cable card adapter, neither of which you use on that model TiVo.

The only way you can use extra storage is with an esata connection with special WD drive.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    In other words, no.

If you need more storage, it's super easy to upgrade the internal drive.

rdrrepair likes this.
  4. garydellerman

garydellerman New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Thanks for the replies , and explaining the possible uses of the usb and it's ain't for external storage.

What is the easiest way to use the external esata port for external storage, I do have some external My Book 6 TB Blue Drives (green drives since it's 5400 rpm?) ... could I use that to expand storage.

I did put a 8 TB WD RED Drive in the Roamio OTA, and it works no problems (I did this yesterday).

I wasn't sure if there is community software that could make using that external port workable without screwing up anything.

thewebgal likes this.
  5. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011

Advertisements

Most people would advise to just use the internal drive. Recordings end up being segmented between the external drive and the internal drive. All you do is increase the failure possibility by a factor of 2 instead of having the 2nd drive fallback position as you're possibly imagining.

rdrrepair likes this.
  6. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Yes, your best bet is to upgrade your internal and abandon any notion of using an external for the aforementioned reasons. Seeing that you've got another TiVo just transfer them to that unit and plop in another larger drive.

7. garydellerman

garydellerman New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    ok, sounds like the only fool proof way is just to use the WD Red 8 GB INTERNALLY that does expand my recording possibilities giving me 1380 hours of HD recording or 8,840 hours of SD recording.

I was just looking for up to date info that sometimes does change with newer community solutions. (but I guess in this case it's better to play it safe, than sorry.)

Thanks for giving me up to date info.

8. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Wow - had NO IDEA the Roamio will take an 8B drive!!

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pointing out someone's typos only work when there are no typos. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This exchange was embarrassing to read. I'm glad that I've never made a careless misteak!

JoeKustra and mrsean like this.
  11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is an eSATA port for drive expansion. The USB port is only for tuning adapters.