Is there any rumblings of an MPEG4 DirecTivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MrBigglesworth, Sep 26, 2007.

1. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Tivo Addict

Dec 25, 2002
    OKC
    Hey all, been a while since Ive been around here.

My HR10-250 is still trucking along just fine, but has that age old limitation of MPEG2 decoding, thus being incompatible with the new Sat that is coming online later this month with a lot more HD goodness.

I want more High Def channels, but I realllllly love my Tivo.

The wife is absolutely LIVID that the current HR10-250 is not compatible with the new signals, so the WAF of the DTV rolled units is in negative territory.

I heard that another company that seems to be amicable with Tivo has purchased DirecTV and is no longer owned by News Corp.

So what is the scoop if any?

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    DirecTv has moved in their own direction. You'll hear a bunch of fantasy dreams that they are about to reconcile any day now. They are baseless, but even if theyr were true, it would be a long time before they could get a product to market.

For now your choices are:

DTV+TiVo+Fewer HD Channels
    DTV+HR20+All Channels-TiVo
    Cable/Fios+Tivo+Most or all HD Channels.

3. MrBigglesworth

Dec 25, 2002
    OKC
    For me, the third option isnt an option. I live out where there is no such thing as a cable company.

If they just took a generational approach, I would be happy. Basically, the current Tivo, a bigger HDD and MPEG4 capability and I would be super happy. Why they gotta screw things up like this and make importation of high def stuff difficult (wife wise).

UGH.

4. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    If I already had an HDDirecTivo, I'd likely have stayed with DirecTV and tolerated their DVR offering for the other HD channels.

But as it was I only had the SD directivos and thus went to FIOS and HDtivo.

Good luck--at least you've got some HD tivo capability. Some is better than none.

5. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Check out dbstalk.com, there are posts there about getting the upgraded equipment at very little or no cost. Good luck.

6. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    There is no word as of yet whether or not TiVo and D* will get back into bed. D* has made some comments recently that sound like the door is still open.

My guess is that TiVo would not develop a new unit, but instead take the same route as ComcasTiVo and port their software onto the HR-250 or whatever other hardware that D* has.

7. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    How long would that take BlackBetty? It's been a couple of years they've been trying to make that work with Comcast.

8. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Well the work has now been done. Rogers words.

The key here is that it has been done now. Which will make it a lot easier and faster to do on other boxes.

D* is not going to allow itself to not have some kind of current TiVo offering while Comcast, the biggest cable operator, is offering TiVo.

Cable and Satelite are like giant elephants. They move slowly, but once one moves, they all tend to move in the same direction in packs.

9. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    That's optimistic seeing as we're about 2 years in and there are zero released to the market.

Huh? DTV has a DVR that many believe to be better than TiVo. DirecTv just had TiVo and allowed that relationship to end. Why would they not allow themselves to serve their customers better without getting into bed with a lesser company that they already moved away from.

That's a leap in logic that I'm having trouble making.

10. milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I think that you have one more option that is a very viable one.

I don't think that you have to decide whether to dump TiVo or dump DIRECTV. I kept my TiVo and added the new HD box. 4 tuners, twice the storage.

Here is the thread where that is being discussed:

HR10-250 and MPEG4; Upgrade Offer

- Craig

By the way, the first group of 21 new HD channels launched today.

11. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Last week while talking to investment bankers the head of Tivo said he had not gotten any phone calls, flowers, or text messages from Directv recently. That was pretty conclusive proof to me that nothing is in the works today.

12. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Key word "Today". What about tomorrow?

Once the sale of D* becomes final, thats when I think things might start brewing.

13. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I think you might be overestimating the importance of Tivo in the world.

14. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    maybe so, but if D* starts losing subs to comcast, you can bet your bottom dollar that D* will have a TiVo offering.

15. Matt9876

Matt9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Maryville...
    I did the upgrade to the H-20 and 5lnb dish for $99 and put my old Tivo unit on the new dish.

Not a perfect solution but I can view all the new HD and still use my beloved TiVo .

Some say you can now upgrade for $20 .

16. badmonkey

badmonkey New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Lehigh...
    Why would they lose subscribers when they have significantly more HD content and a DVR that works just as well (arguably better) than TiVo?

While there is definitely a sizable contingent of TiVo loyalists, I'm fairly certain that the content is what will drive most people. And, right now, D* has the upper hand.

On top of that, most people take whatever hardware they get from their provider and don't ask any questions. The people who read and contribute to these online forums tend to believe that we (myself included) represent the norm. That's just not true. Most people don't pay any attention to the hardware on which they are watching their favorite TV shows...

Just my two cents...

17. MrBigglesworth

Dec 25, 2002
    OKC
    This would be great. I moved into my current home 11 months ago and they installed a 5LNB Dish already. My understanding is that I just need to BBCs and the receiver itself. I may try giving them a call and see what I can work out. New receiver for the living room, move the Tivo to the bedroom, and if it can be done for $20, hell yeah, Im all over that. Not counting on it though.

18. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    you got to take into account if D* is infriging on TiVo patents. I believe TiVo and D* extended their relationship through 2008 or 2009? which prohibits TiVo from Suing D*. But if TiVo wins the appeal against E* soon, every cable or sat provider that has a generic DVR better watch out, D* included.

19. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Yep. Could get real interesting...

Taken from the earnings call in August.

20. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Which means Tivo would be suing every Sat and Cable Company.....

Including the same Company that they are currently in partnership with.

Which means you turn your back on every Company you need in order to do business with.

If Tivo did sue every Sat and Cable Company, then Tivo would die! The Companies only way to survive would be to broadcast their very own Programming.

Do you really think Tivo would be that stupid? Sue everyone and kill off their own Company?

Get real now :D