Is there any reason for me to buy an S3 now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jakerock, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1 of 41
    jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH

Advertisements

With the end of the lifetime transfer option approaching I need to decide if I buy an S3 in the next week or so, or wait until a better time.

I own two lifetimed S2's. I am also using a Comcast digital box and one in the bedroom. My living room has a Comcast HD DVR to record HD programs and the second Tivo is also in this room recording SD programming. The 6412 does OK for my recording needs. I don't care about suggestions and I can live with the lock ups and frustrations associated with it. I assume the S3 would be less annoying. I have another TV in the family room that has just analog cable and no DVR.

Long term I could see the following set up: an S2 attached to my to SD tvs and the S3 attached to my HDTV. No Comcast boxes. Anything that is off a digital, premium, or HD channel gets recorded on the S3 (but can be watched via MRV in any room). All the SD stuff gets recorded on the other Tivos but once again can be watched anywhere.

If MRV is never supported by the S3 then this set-up won't work and the advantage of the S3 is minimized. It is nicer than the 6412 which does everything I need, just not as seamlessly as an S3 does.

I can't think of a good reason to worry about the lifetime transfer at this point. Since I am not getting rid of the S2, I still would have to deal with the new pricing structure. :( Thus it seems to me that waiting to see that MRV can be supported is my best avenue. I may also get lucky and end up paying a little less, although that isn't a requirement. Perhaps I'll get lucky and the pricing structure will have changed again to something less (insert favorite colorful phrase here).

Am I missing something?

2. Dec 7, 2006 #2 of 41
    synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    i am in the same deal,

i am thinking any price drop will offset (pay for more months @ 6.95). Lets face it in these time in 2-3 years the s3 willbe obsolete, i just have that feeling.

3. Dec 7, 2006 #3 of 41
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I really wouldn't rush to buy it. Currently, you can get a 3 year contract for $299. So instead of paying for the S3 now + $200 transfer, I would just wait because you can expect a bigger price drop next year. Even if it only drops a hundred dollars, it seems like you wouldn't lose out much. I guess the only other thing to consider is getting lifetime on the S3 will make the resale value much higher.

4. Dec 7, 2006 #4 of 41
    abobrow

abobrow New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was in the same boat and decided to get the S3. How do I feel now? I've had to admit to myself that the S3 was a frivolous purchase, but I'm still happy with it.

I don't think there's any way to justify the "early adopter" tax, other than you get to have a fun new gadget. By the time I want to resell the S3 with its lifetime subscription (let's say 4 years), I gotta figure my S3 will look like an S1 looks today. There will be a lot better options on the market, much cheaper, so I'm not counting on a great resale. Then again, I never expected my S2's to be worth $350 4 years after I bought them, so what do I know?

5. Dec 7, 2006 #5 of 41
    whitmans77

whitmans77 Member

Mar 5, 2003

Advertisements

I am in the same boat. I really want the S3 but I can not justify the cost right now. The lifetime transfer was enticing but I dont know if I can do it. I just got my SA 8300 and we shall see how it goes with that.If the price drops then maybe I will consider it more

6. Dec 7, 2006 #6 of 41
    flyersfan

flyersfan New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    eastern PA
    We got tired of the issues with the cable co DVR so the lifetime transfer option was a perfect time for us to make the leap to an S3. Much better capacity, the interface we're used to, and a flawless cable card installation make us very happy users.

TV standards change very slowly. We're not going to see HD broadcast specs change any time soon. The S3 will not be obsolete for quite some time... sure, new models may have different/better features, but it won't mean the S3 will stop working.

7. Dec 8, 2006 #7 of 41
    jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    I think I must be pretty lucky with my cable DVR. I don't see that many issues with it. I have not lost a show yet because of it.

The interface isn't a good and it has been scary sometimes when I have to reset it and know that a show is going to be recorded soon. But it hasn't locked up in a situation where I haven't been using the remote. That is the biggest weakness of the one I have. It really gets confused sometimes when you are trying to watch a show and hit remote buttons to try to get it to do something complicated...like skip or FF. :eek:

8. RandyDtg

RandyDtg Member

Apr 16, 2005
    people looking only at cost makes me laugh. this is a quality of life purchase. People dont spend more on better cars without a reason. Go ahead and live with your pintos and pacers, I spend much more time with my Cadilac aka Tivo S3 750 Gig than my car. The only thing more pleasurable would be to see my old (returned the day I got my S3) SA8300HD fall from an airplane.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Not everyone is ready to make the jump to HD yet. For people like us, it make sense to hold off on an S3 purchase until then. Also, if you have a S2 and are happy enough recording with it, the purchase of a S3 may not be warranted until later when the contract is running up.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    there is the other large item in the OP's post you missed. The ability to MRV or TTG shows.
    For me I am looking at doing another S2 DT or an S3. I use MRV and TTG all the time. Since you can get the S3 for around 680$ via the cool deal here at TCF now it has fallen in price already. Now I have not gone to HD yet so that is off the table for me and it really comes down to MRV/TTG of SD content, without that the S3 is not useful for me.
    That puts me in the wait and see mode. does the price fall more and offset some the 6.95 a month I would pay without lifetime on it. does cablelabs finally certify MRV/TTG on the box. I am ready to go three years commitment on the S2 DT and then maybe transfer that account to an S3 when the above is ironed out.

11. FrogGremlin

FrogGremlin New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Wilmette IL
    I took a pass on the S1 -> S2 lifetime transfer offer (and ended up later with a monthly-subscribed S2 and a lifetime S1). But the S3's looked good enough to warrant the jump, and I did it THREE times: Reclaimed a couple of other lifetime S1s scattered around the family, bought three S3s, and transferred lifetimes to all of them.

A tad extravagant, yes, especially since I don't have an HD set yet. But the improvement in picture quality in moving from the S1-and-S2 analog recordings to the S3 digital recordings is amazing! If your cable company offers the lower 99 channels in digital - or the OTA network channels in HD, which the Series 3 can "step down" to an SD signal - I think you'll be pleased by the inprovement in viewing (and, of course, 5.1 sound on many programs).

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wow, talk about early adopting just for adopting's sake.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    What software is on your box? The others on the thread likely have totally different software.

14. timo123

timo123 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Fullerton, Ca

I too have never had a single critical issue with the cable DVR's. I was using the Moxi DVR through Adelphia, and aside from some occasional issues with slow response times (on par with the 7.3 update) it worked great. I have since been moved to Time Warner and now have the Motorolo 6414 with iGuide. Again absolutely no issues with this box either. I think most people who complain the loudest have been using the SA boxes. I believe some of the people who complain about Moxi or iGuide are doing so simply because it's not Tivo . Of course, this is my opinion, based partly on the fact I have not seen any major issues with either of these boxes beyond the fact it isn't Tivo and it takes a little time to learn and get used to.

15. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Cadillac? I didn't think there were any 90-year olds on this board. ;)

16. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Now, I'm an avid TiVo devotee, so take this for what it is worth. Yes, those of us with Scientific Atlanta experience are probably more likely to scream the loudest because we were abused the most by our box. i.e. limited features, worked properly almost never, terrible user interface, menus took minutes (yes, sometimes literally minutes) to load, etc. All this after the cable co. telling me this would be a big upgrade from the TiVo. Ha.

It was a lot like being set up with a girl from another high school who seemed cool and exotic when you first met, then after a date or two you realized you missed the girl from your high school that you had grown up with.

Was that an analogy, metaphor, or an allegory?

17. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    I'm not looking only at cost. I guess I have the opposite experience. I have a two hour commute that I spend in a car that I spent a premium on. Admittedly it isn't a Cadillac. But then I am not the Cadillac type. (In hindsight I am not an Audi type either, now that I have some first hand experience with their quality. But in their defense it still drives awesome - as long as you don't mind ignoring the check engine light and being left stranded once a year or so.) I wouldn't be able to find two hours of TV a day that I want to watch. The TiVo was purchased primarily because of my schedule. It allowed me to watch the few shows that I want to when my schedule allows. When MRV came out they also allowed me to watch the shows where I wanted to.

If and when MRV shows up on the S3 then it will be better than the 6412 in a way that I will really appreciate. So there doesn't seem to be a reason to go the S3 yet. At least none that apply to my situation.

18. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    I don't know. :eek: Since it hasn't given me any problems, I've never really done any research into it.

19. RandyDtg

RandyDtg Member

Apr 16, 2005
    You dont need HD to appreciate the S3, the TiVo guide covers all of the digital channels too.

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Most people who don't have an HDTV don't subscribe to an HD package from their cable company. So while you could use the S3 to digitally record OTA channels, it's not going to be worth the current price to get digital recordings of only a few OTA channels. For those people, the S3 would be the same as the S2 except for a few OTA channels. However, if I had an HDTV, I could see it being worth the price even without the CableCards since I can get the 4 major networks + PBS OTA.