Is there another DVR solution that allows you to copy shows to it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by plazman30, Apr 11, 2011.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I'm using my TiVo with pyTivo alot to copy things to the Tivo. Is there another DVR besides the TiVo that has this ability, either directly or through some kind of hack?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I do not think you can not load anything to cable or satellite providers DVRs from your computer and are very few other Stand alone DVRs.

What are you actually trying to do? Perhaps you do not need a DVR to do it.

Good Luck,

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
  4. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
  5. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I used to have 2 boxes. I had DirectTV DVR and a HTPC running Windows 7 with MCE under my TV. When I switched to FIOS, I installed pyTivoX and was able to eliminate the HTPC completely from the setup.

Hence why I love TiVo.

6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    More like streaming, but there are some things out there.

DirecTV Media Share
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/mediashare

DISH Network DLNA
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/vip922/moreinfo/default.aspx

Verizon FiOS TV Media Manager
    http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiostv/guide/enhanced+tv/questionsone/124941.htm

7. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Moonson Valcano no cable card bug it will control a cable or sat box via or blasters.

Moxi box and Moxi Mate. No sure if they do PC transfers.

8. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The retail Moxi HD DVR offers DLNA streaming from PC. However, it's been radio silence out of Arris for some time. I would not recommend a purchase.

9. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I did the exact opposite. I installed a Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard tuner plus two Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual ATSC tuners in my HTPC and barely use my Tivos anymore. In fact, I've already sold off one of my S3 Tivos and the other one with lifetime sits on the shelf collecting dust.

With FIOS I don't have to deal with flagged content so I can copy shows to and from the PC as I please. With the HTPC I have totally eliminated all Tivo fees and cable box rentals. I'm down to a single cablecard plus whatever services I subscribe to.

I'm curious as to why you think Tivo is better than your HTPC with Win 7 Media Center? I realize it does have advantages in certain areas but the pluses that a Media Center PC provides far outweigh the minuses, IMHO. I found the Tivo to be severly limted by comparison. Then again, it all depends on what you want the device to do for you. My HTPC can play Blu-Rays and every type of video file I can throw at it whereas the Tivo cannot.

10. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Interesting. How do you handle viewing from your HTPC in multiple rooms on different televisions? I read that it's possible with the Ceton 4 tuner card.

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Media extenders can be placed at various locations throughout your house. They all connect to the primary HTPC via your home network. Each extender can access any recorded shows that are located on the main PC as well as compatible video files located on the same PC or a mapped network drive. Live TV can be viewed using one of the available tuners on the primary HTPC.

You can have any combination of digital cable (i.e., Ceton InfiniTV4), ATSC, or QAM tuners installed in the primary PC. Windows Media Center limits you to four tuners of each type by default, but there's a freeware app called Tuner Salad that allows you to increase the number to whatever you like. Currently, the XBox 360 is the only extender being sold. There are discontinued extenders by Linksys, HP, and D-Link that can still be found on ebay.

Remote PCs can also share any recorded program on the primary HTPC that is unflagged by the provider (i.e., show is flagged as "copy freely"). Ceton will be upgrading the firmware on their tuners to allow tuner sharing between PCs. You can do this now, but only if you are registered in Ceton's beta program. You basically assign one or more tuners on the primary PC to any other PC on the network.

Note that the Ceton tuner only works with Windows 7 Media Center. It also works with SageTV using the SageDCT app, but only for channels that are "copy freely."