Is there an online TV scheduler that can search?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rob_gendreau, Jun 21, 2017.

1. rob_gendreau

rob_gendreau Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Oakland

Advertisements

I've been trying to use online.tivo.com's to schedule shows, but it's the worst TV guide I've ever used. The search function is beyond stupid: it can't even find terms that appear in the shows tab heading in the schedule grid. And the "browse" function is idiotic: I was looking for a certain NASCAR race, and since search couldn't find, I tried ticking "auto racing" in Browse. It found about 8 shows, mostly NOT sports (and I was obviously in the "sports" category). No NASCAR, despite there being more separate NASCAR shows than the entire list Tivo gave me. Not to mention thousands more on other racing.

And the search deletes the search term once you click on one of the uninformative little icons, so you have to re-enter it?

I've been a Tivo user since the first boxes, and I can't believe it's gotten this bad. Surely there's an alternative when I can't use my box itself?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    How about the iOS or Android app?

3. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I agree with the OP. Search for live sports events with the HDUI is baffeling to me. For example when you use the catagories most of the results are talking head or sports related shows. Finding an actual F1, NASCAR or NHL event is difficult. This is true on the DVR, TiVo Online and the App. TiVo thinks we all watch movies or reality TV. They are not sports friendly.

I have found the old school Wishlists do do the job for live sports, as they always did.

4. rob_gendreau

rob_gendreau Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Oakland
    Yeah, sports scheduling is a nightmare. I have to put in about a million different passes to make sure I get what I want to record. And again, searching is impossible. It's actually easier to open as much of the guide as possible and do a Find in your browser's Edit function....sheesh.

5. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...

Advertisements

I'm an auto racing junkie (the only reason i have cable) and since the Rovi switchover finding specific racing events is difficult. I keep creating new Season Passes oops i mean One Passes when my many existing ones stop catching my racing then those eventually stop working and i have to re-create them. It's maddening. It's sad when my TWC Arris Enhanced DVR Series Recordings correctly find and catch all my racing with virtually 100% reliability (which is the only reason i rent this DVR from them instead of buying a newer Tivo with more tuners and space.

So i use www.titantv.com and have created several "saved searches" for all my favorite racing series. You can get real specific with what wording to look for, and even specify a specific channel or leave it blank. And you can set it to search for up to 14 days out. It's been extremely helpful and is very reliable, and helps me find repeats at all odd hours etc. Here's my list as an example:

Auto Racing
    Continental Tire Sports Car Series
    WeatherTech Sportscar Series
    World Challenge (catches Pirelli World Challenge)
    Australian V8 Supercars
    British Touring Cars
    FIA Racing (catches World Endurance and World Touring Cars)
    Blancpain Endurance Series
    Formula One
    Indy Lights
    IndyCar
    Nascar
    Xfinity Series

6. rob_gendreau

rob_gendreau Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Oakland
    Great! thanks for the tip. I can't quite understand Tivo's lameness in this regard; if it weren't for sports I'd probably be off cable entirely. And that would mean bye bye Tivo.