Is there an easier way to eliminate channels I don't get? Please?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Papageno, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

Hi All,

Unfortunately Comcast/Xfinity in its infinite lack of wisdom has not kept and does not keep the TiVo service apprised of its channel lineups and tiers, so I'm constantly finding it "recording" shows and movies on channels that I don't get.

There seems to be no easy way to fix this. Simply telling the TiVo that "this is not my lineup" leads to it picking what should be my lineup but isn't, apparently, because it assumes everyone is subscribed to the "everything and the kitchen sink package" instead of just Digital Starter.

Why can't the TiVo software just autodetect that there is no programming coming in on some channels and eliminate them itself? It's a huge pain to have to write down the stupid channel numbers and go into the clunky old SD interface for unchecking channels individually under Settings etc.

Signed,
    Frustrated in Portland

2. Richard in Marin

Richard in Marin Member

Jan 3, 2007
    SF Bay area
    Do you record "suggested" programs? I'm just having tons of "fun" setting up a new Bolt, but in 8 years with a Premier, I never got an unwanted recording.

3. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I use kmttg. It displays the channels in table form on my laptop. I can then just go through and check/uncheck what I see I'm receiving on my tv.

4. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    That's not a bad idea, except for that I don't have a laptop (I have a desktop, being a game aficionado and all), but if I can save that document somehow to Google Docs I could maybe bring it up on my phone, that might work.
    Where in particular is that accessible in kmttg (which I haven't fired up in ages, but still has its uses, apparently).

5. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. Coincidentally, mine is a Premiere (getting long in the tooth), and yes, I let it record "suggestions" but maybe I just shouldn't.

6. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In the main kmttg page there's a set of tabs to select your tivo, FILES, and Remote. Choose the Remote tab. That opens up a set of tabs, one of which is Channels. Select your tivo using the dropdown and hit Refresh. Make your changes and hit Modify.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Doesn't matter whether it's a laptop or desktop. ;) You can run kmttg on either.

Oh or did you mean that you can see your TV from where your desktop is located?

Scott

8. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    My recent experience is with KMTGG resulted in wasted time and frustration unfortunately. it has the ability to copy your recieved channel guide from your current tivo to migrate to your new tivo. If that works for you great but maybe its not compatible with Hydra because this time it isn't working for me. And as far as being a quicker way to edit modify your channel guide I did not find that to be the case as I had to click one channel at a time with mouse not any quicker than 1 click on the remote. Shift and control on keyboard didn't seem to work to select multiple channels at a time using kmttg unless feature is hidden. kmttg still great. don't get me wrong.

9. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you use the Grid Guide instead of the TiVo Live Guide, you can left arrow in the grid over the channel and hit Select which gives you the option to remove the channel (or you can switch to the Grid Guide temporarily just for this and then switch back to the Live Guide).

Scott

cwerdna and jrtroo like this.
  10. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Never tried it with Hydra, so that may be an issue. With Encore, there's a checkbox I check or uncheck in the Channels tab. No need to shift or control - just scroll through and make sure my received channels are checked, then click on Modify and I'm done.

11. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    That's a new one for me. Thanks! I wonder what other little-known features are in the ui that I'm unaware of?

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yep, the time honored way to do this, with a refreshing beverage of your choice you just sit and shuffle through them, usually takes me about 30 minutes, then it's home free for years afterwards, a solid investment of my time.
    It also helps if you flip the grid guide to channels by name so you can get rid of the duplicate SD ones if you are so inclined.

avaddict and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    It only takes me about three minutes. Of course I get just about every channel so there are very few to to uncheck. You should see mt cable bill! :>)

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  14. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    My newest Bolt is running Hydra and I didn't see a way to do this. Thankfully, I just view my channel lineup from the TiVo app and check/uncheck channels based on another box.

15. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Now this sounds like a plan, because I can do it right there at my TV in real time as I'm checking whether I get a channel or not.

What complicates things immensely is the stupid double HD channel thing. We had HD channels that were easy to remember before (they're still there) because they were just 700 + the old SD channel number in the local market. So in Portland 706 is the HD CBS station because 6 is the HD station. But then they had to go and add all these duplicate HD channels with weird numbers that I'll never remember in a million years. I should probably just tell the Tivo to forget everything with a number over 1000 because I'm never going to watch them anyway when I've got the 700 series channels available.

16. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Until they do finally eliminate the channels in the 700 range and your 1P start to fail. :(

Scott

17. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    For massive updating on Gen 3, I use the channel list and then hit live tv. Then left arrow brings you back to the channel list. I fine tune using the guide, especially as comcast tweaks the lineup.

18. Richard in Marin

Richard in Marin Member

Jan 3, 2007
    SF Bay area
    Scott, I always thought that was the grand plan, but now that I saw you put it on 'paper', I gave it another thought - just to be contrary. I'm not technical, but could it be to establish some sort of a bandwidth profile to maintain what they have when the next big thing comes along?

19. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Another way similar to this is to use the 3 channel mini-guide, you can also left arrow over and select on the channel name to remove it or add to favorites w/o switching to the grid guide if you're lazy. :)

HerronScott likes this.
  20. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not quite sure what you mean by bandwidth profile as it's the same channel that's just be displayed at 2 different display numbers. It's only consuming 1 channel of bandwidth. :)

Scott