Is there a worse job for perfect memory than a cop?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by marksman, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1 of 17
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002

Advertisements

I keep trying to struggle through episodes of Unforgettable but even from the time I saw the previews I did not see how this perfect memory would help a police officer much, especially a detective, and I was right.

She goes into some weird trance at looks at things she is already looking at, the whole thing makes no sense. Of all the jobs in the world that might really benefit from a perfect memory, a police detective is no where in the top 10,000. A waitress would get more benefit from this skill.

I admit I have been choking these shows down like bad medication and the first episode I barely paid any attention. Episode 2 was only slightly more to see enough times how her "memory" works, and they just show her in an area, and then she goes slow mo looking at the same area again.

Again, how is perfect memory good for a police detective? Her job is to investigate and figure out what happened where she was not and when she was not there. She can use a notepad and a taperecorder. There are so many more jobs where a perfect memory would be more suitable.

Heck she was a nurse, that job benefits more from her perfect recall than her being a police detective.

2. Oct 7, 2011 #2 of 17
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Not watching the show but perfect recall of a crime scene would be helpful even if it was from pix. Or recall of reading/watching transcripts of interviews. With modern day technology its not as helpful say as if you were Columbo but still, if your brain can index everything with instant recall one can probably make connections easier.

3. Oct 7, 2011 #3 of 17
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Sounds like a less fun version of Psych :D

4. Oct 8, 2011 #4 of 17
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So someone with perfect recall should enter a profession where that recall would benefit them the most rather than going into a profession doing what they want to do?

5. Oct 8, 2011 #5 of 17
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

and I can only imagine how much you'd be complaining about a TV show about a waitress that always gets the order right without ever writing it down.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #6 of 17
    bleen

bleen Protein from the Sea

Aug 9, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    I know what you're saying - I only saw the 2nd episode and the only time it really came in handy was when she saw the montage of pictures and later remembered the one guy with the scar on his stomach. Otherwise the slo-mo recall thing was just annoying and bogged the whole flow down.

7. Oct 8, 2011 #7 of 17
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    If it is going to be the focus of a tv show yeah...

The 7'2" guy who can dunk a basketball standing flat footed but also has a 42" vertical leap who chooses to be a dental hygienist isn't doing it for me either, especially if they are the focus of a tv show.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #8 of 17
    Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    They already made that show. It's called the Mentalist.

9. Oct 9, 2011 #9 of 17
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I see what he's saying... Never saw the show so I have no idea how it's handled, but I thought it was an odd choice after reading about the pilot. I'm not sure how having a perfect memory benefits you when you didn't witness the crime. You can look at a crime scene and have a preserved version of it your head so maybe later when looking at the evidence you can catch something someone missed or something, but that's also what photographs are for.

It's just a weird concept for a TV show. I liked the twist that she can't remember her sister's murder though, that's a cool twist on the subject matter. Probably would have a made a cool movie.

10. zuko3984

zuko3984 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2002
    I like the show an find they are putting to good use her perfect memory. Remembering everything lets her remember things she doesn't even realize are important. Like i think in the first episode when
    she walks past the restaurant in the beginning of the show and thinks nothing of it but later when she looks back on that memory she remembers seeing the suspect who turns out to be the killer sitting in the restaurant.
    also
    in the episode with the maid and the guy killed at the hotel she sees the guy trying to change the flowers and see the type of flowers that they hade out but thinks nothing of it at the time. then later as things start to come together she is able to remember the flower guy and that the flowers in the survielance video are not the same flowers that were out the day of the murder. I don't think most other people would have noticed that and since the hallway was not really the crime scene they may not have taken pictures especially since they had what they thought was the actual surveillance video.

There were other things also but i think they have shown enough that i can see how her ability is useful in police work and really in any job.

11. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    "Well, the magazine P.O.V. came out this week, with a list of the best and worst jobs to have in the next century. ... while their worst, for the third year in a row: Crack Whore."
    - Norm MacDonald

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I keep seeing commercials for this show. I keep thinking how hot the star looks, but how awful the show looks. :)

13. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I struggled through the 1st episode, killed the 2nd half way through and dumped the SP. To me this was a bad cross between The Mentalist and Profiler. I loved Profiler, and had high hopes for this, but in the end it is meh...

I do like Person of Interest however.

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Perfect memory would certainly be of great benefit for a detective. Just remembering all evidence including crime scene evidence, even trivial things you have seen previously could be very helpful as you see more evidence. All 3 episodes I have seen so far have worked that into solving the crime and my guess is every episode for the entire series will do the same and sometimes in a plausible way. I don't know whether the show will last long but I doubt it. For now my season pass remains intact and I will watch at least one more episode.

All women have perfect memory, at least regarding stupid things I have said or done and can immediately bring all of it up with each new instance of same.

15. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    According to IMDb, Poppy Montgomery's birth name is Poppy Petal Ema Elizabeth Deveraux Donahue. If she could remember and spell her name by the time she entered high school, she must have perfect memory and this role is a good one for her.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Proctologist?

17. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Prison Psychologist.