Is there a way to

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by karens, Dec 20, 2008.

1. karens

karens New Member

Dec 19, 2008

Advertisements

access just the cable box? Is there a way to go back to watch your tv like before tivo, without disconnecting tivo??

hope that makes sense??

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Not without causing a situation where you and your TiVo will fight over who gets to control the cable box, unless you bypass the cable box or get one cable box for you and another for the TiVo.

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    If your box has multiple outputs as most do, you can connect an unused one directly to the TV, but as already mentioned you have to figure out a way to keep the TiVo from changing the channel.

If you give the reason why you want to do this, someone might have a solution for you.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    One reasonable reason would be for VOD or PPV access.

5. karens

karens New Member

Dec 19, 2008

Advertisements

thanks for the answers
    that is the reason exactly.

unless I am missing something I can't access VOD and PPV through my cable company. And since I am paying for it, it would be kinda cool to use it sometimes lol

Not sure how much difference it make but I am in Canada.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    All the OP has to do is check the To Do List to make sure nothing is scheduled to record and turn off suggestions. Then just put down the TiVo remote and use the cable box remote to watch VOD or PPV.

7. karens

karens New Member

Dec 19, 2008
    so I would need to hook up a second cable box?

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    No. If your TiVo isn't recording anything that you care about, then simply change the channel with cable box remote.

If you want to record one channel while you watch another, then you will need to get a second cable box or upgrade to a TivoHD. A TivoHD eliminates the need for the cable box, and allows you to watch or record any two cable channels at once, while watching a third, previously recorded program. Alternatively, you can watch one live channel while recording another.

9. LADYBUGBLUE2002

LADYBUGBLUE2002 New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    Kanata, ON...
    Couldn't you just put the Tivo into Standby mode?

10. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Standby mode will still record upcoming shows.

11. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The OP said they are in Canada, so the TivoHD doesn't replace the cable box. It is actually kinda useless except for OTA.

12. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    An even easier way is to hit the record button once the correct channel is selected using the cable box remote.