Is there a way to watch my recorded programs through AppleTV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BCTC42, Sep 8, 2019.

1. BCTC42

BCTC42 New Member

Sep 8, 2019
    The UI is much snappier on AppleTV, you know ;-)

Is there a way to watch my recorded programs through it instead of the TiVo Premier?

2. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    If you have a TiVo Stream (standalone) and and iPhone or iPad and the TiVo, you can use all of those together with your AppleTV and Airplay Mirror what you're streaming to your iDevice to your AppleTV. You don't get a physical remote so you have to rely on the touch controls of the TiVo app. It's not a great setup.

TiVo is supposed to release streaming apps sometime in the end of this year.

Honestly, recorded program playback should be snappy, even on a Premiere. I have a Premiere that works great for everything but streaming.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Switch to the SD interface on the premiere. You will lose access to the apps, but the interface will be more responsive.

4. BCTC42

BCTC42 New Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Ah, I need a stream. It appears TiVo doesn’t sell those new anymore.

What will the apps do? Stream from a Tivo box (Premier?) straight to the AppleTV?

Recorded playback is actually snappy.

But the IR sensor on my box is very weak for some reason so my remote has to be aimed *straight* at it. My ATV remote is CEC and the Tivo is not so I have to juggle two remotes. Finally, apps on a Premier are too slow for my taste. So for those reasons, I’d love to do everything through my AppleTV (apps and recording playback too).

Years ago, I had KTTG. Maybe I could rig up something between my Premiere, KTTG or something similar, my PC, Plex, and my AppleTV but that seems like too much trouble at this time.

5. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    You might be able to find the TiVo Stream on ebay. It's not the most stable of products, but if your network is solid it is usable. I wouldn't want to rely on it daily.

Eventually, TiVo has said they will release apps for AppleTV that will allow you to stream shows from your TiVo - but that still requires a TiVo Stream for your Premiere. If your problem is that your remote doesn't work well, you can try an IR extender or pick up an RF remote (https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Slide-P...ocphy=9030237&hvtargid=pla-313726683737&psc=1). I use the RF remote with my Premiere. It requires a USB RF dongle that plugs into the Premiere (included) but works great.