Is there a way to schedule Tivo reboot?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by atomarchio, May 14, 2020.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I own 2 of the Bolt products. Find it incredibly annoying to sit down and then realize the box needs to be rebooted.

Is there a way to automate the reboot process? I'd have to think after all of these years that there must be a way to do this.

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I use these for my Christmas trees. Now I wondering if rebooting the Tivo everyday is good idea and would that cause any damage to the device in the long term.

4. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    I mean this with no offense, but reading this just drives me crazy against TiVo, not the user. Why does the user have to reboot their Bolt nearly everyday? What a terrible product solution.

I am so glad I have no issues with any Roamio Pro/Plus box with TE3. I will never upgrade ever. I would rather use a cable company provided DVR than deal with TE4 interface, missing TE3 features, buggy daily reboot issues, and ads ads ads mixed with selective video commercials. There is no benefit in my opinion, with these bolts or other newer tivo models than a nice used with lifetime roamio on ebay.

Streaming? Get FireTV or AppleTV, not TiVo.
    4K? Television isn’t 4K, streaming is. Again, just get AppleTV or FireTV.

I love streaming but a degraded DVR experience for CATV is not worth it to me.

Sorry for my rant / I am sure many people complain still about TE4 but my goodness what a silly piece of technology from TiVo officially everytime I see concerns/complaints like this as if TiVo TE4 needs to be treated like a computer from 2001 running Windows ME still.

slowbiscuit, chiguy50 and dishrich like this.
  5. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    Sorry let me contribute to the problem at least. The recommendation timer above should be okay. I would just make sure the timer keeps the tivo off for at least 2-3 minutes before kicking power back on. One minute is fine though I am sure, 2 is just my recommendation.

The downside with analog timer like above is it may be a little noisy depending on where your plugs are. Smart plugs are getting cheaper like this. WiFi Smart Plug - Smart Outlets Work with Alexa, Google Home Assistant, Aoycocr Remote Control Plugs with Timer Function,ETL/FCC/Rohs Listed Socket, White(1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1L6311/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A1QVEb8PKJVRQ

Either using their recommended app or just pairing it with the Alexa App, you can make a routine even with Alexa App to cut and restore power.

i.e Alexa Routine: Reboot TiVo
    Step 1 : 3:55AM Power off smartplug/tivo
    Step 2: 3:57AM Power on smartplug/tivo
    Step 3: 4am play music on all group echos in the house “Beatles - Good Morning Good Morning”

Step 3 is optional.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    My reply was half tongue in cheek, but either a mechanical switch or modern, smart plug alternative would do the trick.

But I have to question why this is necessary. Is this just the nature of Bolts? I've had two houses full of Roamios/Minis for years and never purposely rebooted any of them apart from the day I first installed them.

I have heard of people rebooting Tuning Adapters daily, which I've had to do myself with Cisco TAs. I've also heard of heat issues with Bolts. Are yours simply overheating? Have you tried putting a laptop fan under it?

7. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I was hoping there was a better solution by now. Every weekend right before I am ready to watch a movie, I open the Amazon app and the screen goes blank. Almost every time I turn on this app that occurs. So annoying

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm at 2+ years with a Bolt box and have never had a need to routinely re-boot it. In fact, my older Roamio box needs that more, occasionally, to re-establish its wireless connection to my router (which a TiVo engineer told me, many years ago, is a known issue with my major ISP-provided router model and the Roamio box--no such issue with my Bolt box).

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Ahh, so it's just the horrible Amazon app. I have similar issues with most apps on Tivo. A timer won't solve that. It's simply the act of running the app that makes things go south. Solution: use a streaming device for streaming and Tivo for DVR/Live TV.

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Not mine. I never reboot my Bolt (or my Roamio). However, my devices are TE3. Maybe TE4 Bolts are much less reliable.

Ahh, so it sounds like it may be the Amazon app. I'm not an Amazon Prime member, so haven't really had a cause to use the app. The only one I occasionally use is Plex, and that seems to work OK on my TiVos.

As to the OP, I don't know of a way to schedule reboots other than timers, as mentioned.

11. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I rebooted again tonight to use the Amazon app. Good point the issue may be with the app and not the Bolt itself.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Simple solution - never use Tivo apps. Never.

13. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Smart switch with whatever app they come with and/or Alexa/Google Home. A lot of them aren't as noisy as the mechanical timer but you do here it switching on or off.