Is there a way to record a VHS tape on a TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HarleyRandom, Dec 25, 2018.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

The VCR is actually part of the TV, so pressing "play" and hooking up the yellow and white cables to the TiVo seems like it would work.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If your TiVo has a yellow/white/red input, then it could work.

-KP

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Even better would be, transfer the original recording, on one of your TiVo boxes, to one of your other TiVo boxes directly, or to your PC (and then to one of your other TiVo boxes, if you want). As explained in your other thread. Copying the original recording on one of your TiVo boxes to a VHS tape and then from there to another of your TiVo boxes will degrade the original recording with each copy to/from the VHS tape.

But, of course, it's all up to you.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    The way I read this, the OP has an old VCR tape already, and would like a TiVo recording of it. Not that the recording already exists on a TiVo box.

5. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

yeah he's asking to copy something from a VHS to a Tivo which I figured only a Series 2 (didnt they have a input option besides coax) could do...and yeah the OP has a Series 2 still active

6. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    In this thread, yes. But as noted, OP has already asked the reverse question in another, how to get it from an S2 onto VHS.

How do I move my Yule Log?

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Note that modern TiVos won't support this. I think the last one that would was a two-tuner Premiere (?), and you'd have to go through the RF connector. Series 2 is the last that would handle a composite input.

8. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Roamios and Premier have composite outputs so you could easily VHS anything FROM a Tivo, correct?

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    OP, now you’ve moved your issue to this forum and are dragging others into your problem who haven’t read your thread in the other forum. Bad form!

10. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Troll...

11. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    It's a valid question that others might want the answer to.

12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Did you try it and see if it works?

13. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I could try plugging it in, but how would I do the actual recording?

14. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Other people might benefit from this information, but in my case, the connection from the yellow and white cables won't fit where the signal from the cable company goes in. However, I did discover something interesting. I checked to make sure I had plugged the other end of the yellow and white cables correctly, and I was getting a signal. Except I had disconnected the cable to test the theory!

I could try moving the TV with the VCR that works (it's all one unit) to my Series 3, but that's a lot of lifting. Wait. I'd still have to change where I get the signal from, and I'd still have the problem of where the connection fits.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  15. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    So, you'd have to make sure that the TiVo was set up to record via the Composite Video Signal Inputs. A re-run of Guided Setup might be required.

Then, pick a random TV channel from the guide and select Record.

The resulting recorded show will be your VHS Input with the name of the (supposed) recorded show.

Extract as desired.

-KP

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I'd venture to say the number of threads you've started exceeds the number of people interested in recording to TiVo from their VCRs.

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    At 33 that may exceed the number of functioning VCRs on the forum. :)

stile99, NorthAlabama and kpeters59 like this.
  18. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it's my understanding you want to record to the vcr from the tivo. in my experience, many vcr's built into tv's lack the ability to record - they're playback only.

does your tv/vcr combo have the ability to record?

19. drhendrix

drhendrix Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Loveland, OH
    If you have several tapes to copy, how about using something like this to convert the VHS video to digital format and then pull the digital video from your PC to the Tivo with pyTivo or kmttg?

OrangeCrush likes this.
  20. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    All of mine have always had this capability.