Is there a way to NOT have the Mini auto-drop it's live feed after 4 hours?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Yuterald, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    I like to leave my TV on for my dogs (no comments on that please) but while at work it goes into 'sleep/screensaver' mode after 4 hours. Is there a way to have that Mini NOT go into screensaver mode?
    Obviously if I'm home I can select "OK" when it asks "Are you still there?" or if I change the channel - but I can't do that from work...unless there's a way to do that too!??

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. But I have seen posts of some solutions that I didn't understand. Try a Search.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    Searching by what, exactly? I ask since there's no key word that's unique enough to not find hundreds of threads.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry. I never said it would be easy. But as you noticed, it's a popular subject.

If I was going to do it, I would look for a way to make a device that sent out IR codes. Then find a way to make it send a Down code periodically.

5. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    I've come across an older post about using a Raspberry PI but that's not a rabbit hole I want to try. Seems like there is no option...

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    And once again I feel obligated to snarkily note that if they had put a damn "off" button on these things, they wouldn't need these popups asking if anyone cares. But no, they had to show how clever they were.

skypros likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What do you have to work with? Any PC or laptop that is always on?

Or ... How much would it be worth to you? Somebody could probably whip-up a Pi for you to satisfy your appetite.

8. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    I 'can' understand that it's to release the tuner after 4 hours of inactivity since some people, like myself, will turn a TV off, but not TiVo. But I wish it allowed/forced you to either press "menu" then the "slow-mo" button or select the 'off' feature (forget what it's called in the settings menu) to let them stay 'active/live' if the person wanted.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Yuterald likes this.
  10. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    Clicked on that first link and about 1 page down I was saying "huh?" If it was something I could program from my home PC to send out over my network that'd be one thing. If it's manipulating a device and any ROMs/EPROMs or soldering etc and if it's one PI for each Mini then whole-heartedly count me out and I'll just 'suffer' with the issue. I appreciate the links and information though!

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The crux of the quoted post seemed, to me, to be a recommendation to look at using telnet, which should be doable from a PC ... no soldering required.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You might ping the KMTTG thread, as well, since it seems like something that might be useful to include in that utility.

13. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    It's been YEARS since I've looked at KMTTG. That telnet looks interesting but it also looks like a lot of posts to read to find out what's needed to get the desired result.

14. cpgny9

cpgny9 Member

Feb 28, 2006
    I use IFTTT to accomplish this. If you activate IFTTT app on your main box and have the IFTTT app on your phone/ipad, you can set up an tivo "applet" to send a command to the mini every hour so that it doesn't loose the connection. I have it send a "C button" command every hour. Have used it flawlessly for months - mini never goes into stand by. Even when I am watching live TV on the mini, the C button command doesn't interrupt anything. Very easy to set up

krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.
  15. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    I am very interested in this. Is this an app I can download from the TiVo itself? Thank I need to find how get those commands 'set'.

16. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You could set up Remote Desktop to the house and just use KMTTG to input a command to the Mini...or teach your dog to press the Live TV button.

-KP

17. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Not an automatic workaround, but you can use the remote feature on the TiVo app to remotely change the channel on the mini every few hours.

(I used to mess with my kids when they were younger by remotely changing the channel while they were watching too much tv).

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  19. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Not sure if this will be any help, I haven't tested it. You might try playing all the shows in a folder that has enough hours of episodes to run longer than you need to entertain your dogs instead of using live TV. Hopefully the change from episode to episode will keep the sleep/screensaver mode from starting.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I once played children's stuff from YouTube for 2 hours. Might work for longer, but I think it needs some input to stay alive.