1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to change the name of a recorded show?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kokishin, Jun 12, 2018.

1. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I have a Roamio Pro. Is there a way to change the name of a recorded show?

Today, I recorded the Golden State Warriors Championship Parade which was five hours in length. Unfortunately, the Tivo guide did not reflect that and I had to set up a manual recording. Under MY SHOWS, the parade is listed as "Manual: The NEW BISSELL CrossWave Pet Pro". I'd like to change it to: "Golden State Warriors Parade". Anyway to change the name of the show?

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The only way I know of, sucks. I'd use kmttg to transfer the show to my PC, including the meta data, rename everything, and then transfer it back to my TiVo using pyTivo. With a 5 hour show, even with wired gigabit networking between your Roamio Pro and PC, it will probalby take hours. Exact time will depend on the size of the recording, which will be based on time and bitrate.

Hopefully somebody has a better solution.

[edit] I just did a quick go at the math. The transfer each way should probably be about 30 minutes. Give or take 10 minutes. Not hours.

I figure 1080i, average bitrate, gives ~5GB per hour, so 25GB for your show. The download/decrypt process bottleneck is the Roamio Pro CPU, so about 150Mbps, IIRC. So ((25GB*8Gb/GB)/.15Gbps)/60s/min) = 22 minutes. That 150Mbps might be off by 30Mbps, in either direction, lol, so not exactly an exact calculation here. Just going from memory.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment and don't want to spend a big effort to change the name.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Of course, downloading the show to the PC would also allow you to edit it to remove commercials and excess padding.

5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Active Member

Mar 5, 2004
    There has never been a rename function on Tivos even back to Series 2. Tivo has always been about appliance simplicity and some features just never fit (unfortunately).

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It's not that hard. Set it up, come back when it's done, change the name, transfer back.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Easier to use pyTivo

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    Seconded. I did that with pyTiVo for a couple of shows. Didn't take too long, but like was suggested, I started the transfer and walked away.

9. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    So I'm clear, pyTivo is used to transfer from/to my Tivo Roamio Pro to/from my Win 10 Pro desktop?

Please recommend app(s) to edit the Tivo file on my Win 10 Pro machine.

Thanks

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just one word of warning
    Yes as to the former: pyTivo Desktop is a way easy-to-use user interface and installer for pyTivo; pyTivo is bundled within it (no need to separately go through a complicated install process for pyTivo).

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, that link should help you get PyTivo Desktop installed, which handles downloads & uploads; however, a quick caveat...

You have a Roamio Pro, but what software version is it running? 20.* or 21.*? If you're running 21.* (aka The New TiVo Experience, TiVo Experience 4, TE4, gen4, Hydra), then direct transfers between the DVR and a PC are NOT possible (at all, regardless of software).

However, if you're running the older style UI, then PyTivo Desktop will handle the transfers. You'll just have to edit the metadata, and optionally edit the video (cut commercials, etc). If interested in a good program for editing TiVo videos, see VideoReDo or VideoReDo Suite. (developed by @Dan203, same guy as PyTivo Desktop; not sure how many other people are involved with it)

VideoReDo MPEG Video Editor

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This prior post doesn't bode well for doing any DVR-PC transfers with your Roamio Pro:
    As stated in my previous post, Hydra doesn't currently support PC transfers.

13. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    It's one of the suggestions that I put in to TiVo ... to allow editing of the program name
    It's quite annoying to me, coming from the powerful DVRs of Dish Network to the much weaker DVRs from TiVo (as far as features go).
    Dish allows:
    1- editing of the program name,
    2- up to five favorite guides each with its own name,
    3- user-generated folders for all programs so you can have a folder for people in the household or folders for documentaries game shows Etc. On TiVo you can only do that for wishlists.
    4- Channel selections for their wishlists (Dish Pass).
    5- move ahead or back by # of hours in guide by pressing a number and the right or left Arrow.
    6- customization of guide so that you can get 3 hours on 7 Rows if you wish.
    7- protection of individual programs not just one passes or wishlists.
    8- priority for individual programs not just one passes or wishlists.
    9- their equivalent of 1 passes allows not just new or new and reruns but also Monday through Friday daily or weekly. On TiVo, you need to make a manual recording to do that.

I think TiVo designers are awful!

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, you've made that clear in several threads. You're repeating the repeating yourself.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just two of us. I've been work on it for 12 years now. Prior to that it was a one man show.

krkaufman likes this.
  16. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    back when I was doing a LOT of transfers and editing, I used VideoReDo. Great product and super easy to use. And Dan is very good about support.

17. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Yep, I'm running Hydra so no pyTivo for me. I'm not going to roll back to the prior GUI either - too much of a hassle just to rename a show.

I think it would be a very helpful feature if Tivo would allow customers to rename a show directly on the Tivo, especially when the guide is wrong. However, it is what it is.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Glad you didn't try rolling-back in order to gain the download functionality, since a roll-back to Encore from Hydra entails a full factory reset of the box, wiping all recordings and settings. There wouldn't have been ANY recordings available to download after the roll-back. (Though it certainly *would* have resolved the need to rename the one recording.)

kokishin likes this.
  19. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    That would have been a cluster f*ck!

Mrs K would have broken the Tivo over my head if I lost all the recordings. "Happy wife, happy life!" (unless she's psychotic like my first wife :eek:).