Is there a way to be sure that 4 Flashing Lights is a HDD failure?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by CallMeBob, Oct 8, 2020.

1. CallMeBob

CallMeBob Member

Jun 15, 2005

Advertisements

I wrote in another thread that my Bolt+ has the 4 Flashing Lights. I have called Tivo, who has been less than helpful, and wants to sell me an Edge. They are denying my continual care claim because they sent me a defective box when I first bought it and consider the exchange for a working unit to be my replacement under the continual care program, despite the fact that it was the day after I activated the box. A total load of BS. At any rate, I am considering either putting in a new HDD or just moving on from Tivo. The problem is that before I spend money buying an HDD that I can't return, I want to make sure that the flashing lights are, in fact, a drive failure. When I plug the Tivo in, I get a Tivo splash screen, then the lights start to flash and my TV changes to report no signal.

This is the drive that I am considering.

Any help?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That drive has this in its description:
    For the 2020 holiday season, returnable items shipped between October 1 and December 31 can be returned until January 31, 2021

That should be long enough to test.

3. brucedelta

brucedelta Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Voorhees, NJ
    My Bolt had 4 flashing lights one day almost 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for the Tivo replacement Edge and my experience with Tivo support was as bad as yours except hey were willing to sell me the Edge replacement for $149. Since everyone talks about Bolt heat problems I figured I would do that over replace the drive. I did consider replacing the drive and the conclusion I came to was to buy the one you linked to as it seems to be compatible. If I do not have a working Edge by Monday I will be ordering that drive and skipping the Edge.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could buy a cheap bolt without service on ebay and verify it works then swap the power supply and then the hard drive with your tivo. You could return the ebay bolt if it doesn't fix your bolt.

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Check your conversations. And yes, that drive should work if the drive is the issue.

6. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I had the same exact Bolt "four lights" issue too. TiVo sent me a new Edge Cable 2Tb today in fact, for $250. I'm keeping my Bolt+ and I ordered that exact drive to put in it.
    50% restocking fee along with shipping, so you might as well say "No refunds". Only $60 though and I'll probably sell the + when I get the drive on Wednesday so....

7. CallMeBob

CallMeBob Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm thinking of just going with the Edge. I'm going to try to get a bit better offer, but after looking into other options, even Youtube TV, I just can't find anything as cheap as the package I'm getting from Fios. I do like the idea of buying the drive and selling the Bolt as I've always been unhappy with the loud fan and if the Edge is quieter, as I've read, that is certainly a plus. I don't always watch TV through my receiver with the volume up and when the volume on the TV is low, you can really hear the Bolt even sitting 20'+ away.

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    did they say they would send the replacement before you sent the defective one?

9. brucedelta

brucedelta Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Voorhees, NJ
    They did and charged me a deposit of $499 + tax to be refunded when I return the Bolt. At the time I wrote the original post they had sent me the Edge box but no power supply and the Bolt PS is not compatible. Support said they would send the PS 2 day but it went first class so took a while to get here. I now have a working Edge, but the entire ordeal dealing with Tivo was very unpleasant.