Is there a way I can backup TIVO recordings with only the Hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Johnny Danger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Is there a way I can backup TIVO recordings with only the Hard drive?

My TIVO is having major issues can I can't even get it to connect via LAN or even WIFI.

I would like to at very least backup my shows before trying more aggressive troubleshooting methods.

Is there a software that will let you get the video off just a TIVO hard drive connected to your computer?

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The drive has gone bad enough to not let it boot, so if you were to copy it, any errors/bad sectors would copy over as well. If you are willing to take the risk, DDRescue. Be prepared to spend hours or several days for it to complete.

Your shows are most likely toast if the rescue'd drive does not boot in the Tivo. It is also encoded to the one Tivo and would not work in another.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd bet you'd do fine cloning the old drive to a new drive in a cloning dock.

-KP

4. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I can play the shows on the DVR but the network adapter does not seem to work, the live TV does not work, etc... I can play currently recorded shows.

Its like the OS is screwed up but the shows are still intact as far as I can see.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You won't be able to extract the files from the bare hard drive.

Chase down a replacement and move on...

-KP