Is there a Tivo that combines coax with cablecard AND OTA antenna input?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kevreh, Dec 17, 2018.

1. kevreh

kevreh Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va

Advertisements

I have a ROAMIO but was bummed to find out I couldn't use an HD antenna in addition to my FIOS coax tv hookup. Basically, I'm paying $15 a month to get the local channels. Is there a current TIVO that lets me hookup both and antenna and a cable tv feed? And mesh them seamlessly in the guide?

EDIT: Starting to sound like this isn't possible with newer TIVOs. I really don't get it. TIVO has OTA only boxes, and boxes that work with cable tv. BUT, not one that does both.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    The old Premieres do. The ability to do both is gone on Roamio and Bolt. I used to do the same. Now I do OTA on the Bolt and Cable on the Roamio and have a mini as well.

Can you actually cancel local channels only with Verizon? Didn't think that was an option. Kind of a mandatory add on like the "local sports fee" here in Philly thanks to Comcast.

3. kevreh

kevreh Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    I currently have the ULTIMATE package. Don't want all those channels. If I drop down to the next cheapest package, the EXTREME, I can drop a bunch of channels I don't want. But of course, that package doesn't include locals. So ironically, I pay $15 a month extra to get locals when I can get them perfectly well with a HD antenna (which I have connected directly to my TV, but don't really want to switch inputs to change the channel to NBC).

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It sounds like you very much get it.

The last TiVo DVR capable of tuning simultaneously from both cable and OTA were the 2-tuner Premieres. 4-tuner Premieres are CableCARD-only, and the 4-tuner Roamios and BOLTs capable of tuning either cable or OTA are designed to only do one or the other, not simultaneous.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

If you're willing to sell your TiVo and drop Cable (or Fios) TV, you can have cable channels with DVR and OTA channels with DVR, with a single integrated FREE 14-day program guide, and no input switching, like this:
    Amazon Recast (4 OTA tuners, 1 TB DVR storage) $230 (once)
    Amazon Fire TV Device, e.g., 4K Fire TV stick. $35 (once)
    PlayStation Vue, cable channels and cloud DVR. $50/mo.
    Plus your current Fios internet and TV antenna

You do NOT have to subscribe to Amazon Prime for this but if you already have a Fire TV device you can save the $35 for the Fire TV stick or use the stick on a second TV also streaming from the Recast.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  6. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    What's with the influx of Amazon shills? I pop back in here after a year, and so far every thread I've popped into is someone hocking recast.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

7. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    In this case because the OP wanted something Tivo does not do but it is being pointed out that Amazon is one who does.

mschnebly and dlfl like this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are the PS Vue recordings integrated with those of the Recast, and are all the channels listed in an integrated channel guide?

App switching isn’t much better than input switching.

9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I think a used 2 tuner Premiere with an added Mini would run you about 200 bucks (not 4k) and get you better picture quality to boot (max 1080i or 1080p via streaming).

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Would that be a Premiere with lifetime? Otherwise you would be paying TiVo monthly for the program guide. Another advantage of the Recast/PSVue approach is not having to deal with a cable TV co.
    Amazon says the Recast OTA and PSVue channels are integrated into a single program guide. I believe they plan to integrate other internet TV services also. Not sure how integrated the DVR functionality is since the OTA recordings are on a local (Recast) hard drive while the PSVue recordings are in the cloud.

I think navigating the Fire TV menu is generally significantly quicker and more convenient that switching inputs.

I don't have a Recast yet and have only free-trialed PSVue but being free of Spectrum cable TV and my Tuning Adapter appeals to me. I have used Fire TV, several models, for years now and found them relatively trouble-free, which I can't say for my TiVo/Tuning-adapter experience over nine years now. And Amazon is definitely a lot more pleasant to deal with than Spectrum Cable TV. I think factors like these may explain why you see some interest in the Recast on these forums.

11. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Only if he's willing to drop cable. Otherwise it doesn't.

And don't think anyone is spending $200 on a used Premiere unless it was all in.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The $200 was supposed to cover both the Premiere AND a mini.

13. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Where are you seeing that local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc) are not included in the Extreme package? I'm seeing them in the Extreme channel lineup.

14. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    The Extreme package on FiOS DOES include locals. ALL standard FiOS packages include locals.

15. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    That's what I thought. I can't believe they charge $8 for a cable card now. The $75 plan I was looking at billd out over $100. My similar plan on Comcast with slower internet bills out at $84. Crazy. Was trying to switch, but I guess not.

16. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    One gotcha with that plan is that a Mini can't use a 2 tuner Premiere as a host, so the Mini would not be able to borrow a tuner from the Premiere. Not sure if a Mini would even get past guided setup without a host.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  17. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Good catch. I saw a 2 tuner Premiere on eBay for 100 bucks with lifetime last night to answer @dlfl.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini without a valid host never gets off the "pick a host" display.

19. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
  20. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The best solution would be a second OTA Tivo and network the 2 Tivo's. This could work instead of buying a mini for a bedroom TV. But as stated if you use a cable card your getting locals.