IS THERE A TIVO CONVERSION APP?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by 1Daddyman, Mar 13, 2020.

1. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Hey Guys: I am having a hard time getting TIVO 2.8.3 on my desktop to play my Tivo programs but have it on my laptop and they are both Win10. Can ANYONE tell me what am I doing wrong? I've got over 5,000 Tivo Programs and want to watch them on my desktop computer. TIVO has been NO help, they send me "Read Me" instructions but they serve no purpose. Am I the ONLY one still watching my recorded TIVO shows on my computer. I tried PyTIVO but it STILL wont allow my programs to play.
    HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its not a conversion issue, its a encryption issue.

Programs you can use is KMTTG and use the decrypt function which calls TivoDecode. You would need to enter your Media Access Key into it. Yes, it can do batches of files, but only one at a time. Tivo encrypts the video files and makes it .TiVo. Decrypting them makes them .MPG (from program stream downloads) or .TS (from Transport stream downloads). These are just methods the Tivo use, but .TS has more errors and only TS works for h.264/MPEG4 downloads.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you installed the free Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Extension on the desktop? If not do so.

If they are encrypted .tivo files, you will need TiVo Desktop installed to pick up the filter (and update the certificates which someone has posted in a thread here).

Scott

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Have you also installed the TiVo desktop patch March 9, 2013

Sent from my SM-T837P using Tapatalk

5. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    How do I apply this TIVO Desktop patch?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The patch is not going to help you play the video, or converting, decrypting.

This patch is to update the expired certificate to be able to download using Tivo Desktop.

After you had upgraded to Windows 10 (and after every update), you need to re-install Tivo Desktop to be able to get access to the .Tivo files. You would also need the MPEG2 codec for WMP to play them.

7. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    I apologize for being a 'dolt' when it comes to this issue....but what is "WMP"? I've loaded the MPEG2 codec but have no clue where to save, send or load it to.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Windows Media Player.

9. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Okay I do have WMP loaded. All my tivo shows display the WMP logo on them. I can hear the audio but the video is where I'm lost. You spoke of MPEG2 Codec....How do I load it? I am going to re-install the Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 again.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for explaining further. This sounds like the file is from a h.264/MPEG4 recording from a MPEG4 channel. You would need to set Tivo Desktop to enable "Faster Transfers" as this will enable TS Downloads. You would need to re-download the shows (if available) before they will play.

11. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    I reinstalled Tivo Desktop and did enable "Faster Transfers". My troubleshoot window stated I need to install MPEG-2 Video Codec. Where do I find this and how do I install it?

12. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
  13. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
  14. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    I've asked everyone about watching shows recorded through tivo on my desktop and keep getting this message::::::
    "Install a supported media player to play back the files that you transfer to your PC from your TiVo box. We recommend Microsoft Windows Media Player 11". .Upon going to Microsoft I have yet to find Windows Media Player 11. My shows play perfectly but no video shows. I was told to load MPEG-2 Video Codec. I tried the pyTIVO but it just counteracts my normal way of recording tivo shows.....:recording is fine it's the playback thats a problem.How do troubleshoot the process and load mpeg2 codec ,what place to load it and how to make sure it is in true working order?

15. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Window Media Player is already installed on Windows 10.

Click the Start Button and type the word media and you'll see it.

If there's no video, download the codec and install the codec. Or install the one you seem to have downloaded.

Personally, I prefer VLC. ( www.videolan.org ). It includes every codec ever known to mankind. It, too, will require installing after downloading.

Have you decrypted the .tivo files to their native .mpg or .mp4 format yet?

-KP

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That would be .MPG or .TS.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Try the k-lite codec pack....

Download K-Lite Codec Pack

also you either need TiVo Desktop or pyTivo Desktop with the DirectShow filter option checked for Media Player to actually decrypt .tivo files.

18. 1Daddyman

1Daddyman New Member

Feb 2, 2020
    First off, I have Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 downloaded on my computer with ALL my tivo shows downloaded ( I have no idea what the DirectShow Filter option is or where its located) 2nd I do have WMP installed and was told to download the codec and install it.
    3rd) I downloaded VLC but it shows a VLC Media Player do I delete the media player on my desktop and install the VLC package that includes its own media player?
    4th) You asked me if I had decrypted the .tivo files to their native .mpg or .mp4 format yet? How do I do that?
    I was also told to try K-Lite codec pack but which one?
    HEVC/H.265
    VP9
    AV1
    MPEG-2
    I realize I am asking alot but truly thank you in advance for ALL your help.

19. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You don't need to worry about removing something when installing something else. WMP Vs. VLC, for example. They will not interfere with each other. No do you need to worry about where things get installed, some give you a choice of what folder to install to.

As for the codec pack, just download and execute/launch the file.

kpeters59 likes this.
  20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VLC will not play .tivo files.

.tivo files are encrypted. So you have two options...

1) Use something like tivolibre to decrypt them to standard .mpg or .ts files

2) Play the files in WMP.

#2 is probably easiest for you given your apparent level of technical expertise. If you install the codec pack I linked to it should add everything you need to allow the .tivo files to play in WMP. TiVo Desktop includes a "codec" that works with WMP to decrypt the .tivo files, the pack I linked to contains all the other audio and video codecs you need for WMP to actually play them.

kpeters59 likes this.