Is there a system wide problem?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GaryREM, Aug 10, 2019.

1. GaryREM

GaryREM New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Installed refurbished Bolt on Thursday to replace unit that had failed.

Am getting blue spinning ring and sluggish operation on most TiVo screens. Have NO apps available. Trying to play recording from list doesn't work.

Have tried reconnecting, restarting, rebooting from power off multiple times and no change.

Called TiVo tech support and they claim there is an issue 'being worked' as others are seeing this.

Had hoped there would be some mention here, but nothing.

2. mllacey

mllacey New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Same problem here.

Im trying to setup a replacement Bolt Vox after the the last one died with the 4 flashing lights.

3. GaryREM

GaryREM New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    My Bolt showed 4 flashing lights also. Only 14 months after purchase. First failure in 4 TiVo boxes...

So it appears there is an issue here.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I've had no issues with either of my Bolts today

5. TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Tivo had sent me a replacement Bolt + VOX in place of my Bolt +, I had the same spinning issues on Thursday 9/8/19 with the new Hydra interface and thought it was just bad software, perhaps it was not.
    Another thing was even with the help of Tivo higher level support we could not force the Tivo Bolt + VOX to downgrade the software to the classic interface.
    Back it went to Tivo and I fixed my original unit

6. GaryREM

GaryREM New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Interesting. It appears to be related to people trying to put replacement boxes into service.

I find it strange that I have no apps on the box. I wonder if the spinning ring is the box trying to do something related to that tying up resources.

7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Maybe their just sending out returned units without checking them. I had to return a new Bolt a month ago. I chose a refund since it was in the return window, vs them sending me a refurb unit. After all that settled I just bought another new one. I don't want their refurbished units.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. ejjp

ejjp New Member

Aug 10, 2019
    USA
    Hi. I am new here (TIVO customer of 15 years) and will try not to get too long-winded. I took advantage of the summer sale and upgraded two of my Roamio (both worked perfectly I might add), and purchased two Bolt VOX boxes and both went into service on July 31. The first one is perfect and I have had no issues with it.

The second of the two new Bolts, also installed on July 31 had multiple issues including remote would not pair to receiver, One Pass shows would indicate as going to record but would not, External HS would not connect, among other things. So TIVO sent me a new replacement Bolt VOX which I installed today.
    Everything works on the new replacement box except the app area where I too am getting the blank app list and a large blue spinning circle across every page except live tv. Pressing the NETFLIX button the remote gives back a V338 error message. After wiping out the setup and starting all over again at the recommendation of TIVO support, (we're talking like 2 or more hours total), the same problem exists. The TIVO support person then told me that this seems to be an issue with EVERY TIVO box that is/was setup in the past few days, and believed it was an issue on the TIVO corporate side of things, rather than the individual customer TIVO boxes. The support person could not offer an indication of how long it will take TIVO to get this issue corrected.

Maybe it's just me but this is not the TIVO company I have known for the past many years. At the very least, if TIVO knew this was a potential is, and clearly they did, TIVO should have sent an email to all people that recently purchased a new TIVO box and let them know there is a potential issue. Instead of letting customers spend hours trying to set up their boxes. And now we wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. Pardon the blue spinning ring...

Sorry for venting.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    It's not just you. Rovi Corporation bought TiVo in 2016 and then renamed themselves to TiVo Corporation. It is not the TIVO company you have known for the past many years.

ejjp likes this.
  10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    14 months, not bad.
    I had a roamio basic fail after 97 days.
    No joy, it's out of warranty; $49 for replacement it cost me.

11. MartyHatesTeeVo

MartyHatesTeeVo New Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Just wanted to share that I'm in the same boat. My Bolt+ died (like most in the 12-24 month window), was offered a Bolt Vox replacement, and hit almost all the same issues as you.

I have observed:

- spinning blue circle on most non-TV watching screens
    - no apps available, button to add app does nothing
    - search is unavailable

You said you're unable to watch recordings, but I am, I have to manually navigate over to the '...' then hit select, then there is a play option. This is my first time using hydra, so I'm not even sure if this is related, or just the way its supposed to be.

I was told on Thursday afternoon that it was a known issue they were working on and I would get an update by email in 24-48 hours. Of course I heard nothing. I called back again today, but they had nothing new to share, just that the engineering team is working on something...

12. GaryREM

GaryREM New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Discovered that :)
    Same exact experience and have also heard nothing. Very disappointing.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry that happened to you. I haven't been hearing/seeing here a 1-2 year lifespan.

14. MartyHatesTeeVo

MartyHatesTeeVo New Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Well, the information is anecdotal based on what I've read here. This thread contained a bunch of "me too" posts in a similar time frame: TiVo Bolt All lights flashing, no cable I'm sure there are lots of happy customers with the same model, so my choice of the word "most" was poor.

But, when I looked into replacing the drive myself it seems like the 3GB model was probably pushing the limits of what they should have ever offered (given the heat/space/power constraints of the model). I just wanted black, and took the bait. Anyway, given the difficulty in sourcing my own 3GB replacement drive, I thought it made sense to gamble on their $50 replacement offer. But, this isn't off to the best start.

GaryREM and Mikeguy like this.
  15. ejjp

ejjp New Member

Aug 10, 2019
    USA
    So here is an update on my "spinning blue" issue from my post last Saturday.
    OK, TIVO never got back with me on anything even though they promised. Being so frustrated without any sort of response from TIVO, , I went to BestBuy and purchased at full price, another Bolt VOX. (Figured I may as well take a chance). I went through the setup (which I could now do in my sleep I think from the past two bad units), and selected the "monthly service" because I am not again going to slam down $500 bucks for lifetime service in the event this one didn't work either.

The Best Buy TIVO box setup awesomely and is working flawlessly almost. There is a little issue where I cannot access the other TIVO boxes in my home but that just may be because I just set the box up and may need to update (I hope). The remote codes still don't work with my (new) Pioneer receiver just like the problem with the other two boxes they sent me, but I can live with that I guess.

So both the original "summer sale" box I purchased direct from TIVO and the replacement box are going back to them as quickly as I can get them out of my home (before those have a chance to infect my other working boxes, jk ) and I will demand a full refund. Clearly TIVO has a run of bad boxes and will not fess up to it.

Nothing frustrates me more than a company that boldly lies right to your face. This is not "a corporate wide" issue as they told me because if it was, my Best Buy box would have the same issue as the other two. And the "playbook" response of updating me in "24-48 hours" - more boldfaced lies. At this rate of customer service, I wonder even if TIVO will be around much into the future. Even so, I am almost still tempted to return to my 'old" Premier Series 3 boxes that NEVER had a single issue in over five years of using them.

Wow, Rovi company, you took a great product and a great customer-oriented company and totally butchered it. Sad.

16. adspguy

adspguy Member

Apr 30, 2002
    I just had a TiVo mini A93 replaced with a refurb TiVo mini vox a95 and am seeing no apps and have the dreaded spinning blue circle of doom instead. I’ve been bitching to customer service for 10 days now. The A92 and A93 minis I have are working fine as is my Roamio. I decided to trade in one of my minis so I could get the Hulu and amazon prime apps to work reliably. I was also told that this is a reported issue that “engineering” is working on, and they really have no idea when it will be fixed. Strange that the problem is happening on refurbs only. I wonder if it has something to do with these units being pre-activated. My Roamio is a lifetime service, but I also recently got a message from TiVo asking me to put a credit card on file so my service wouldn’t lapse. I wonder if this relates. Did any of you get such a message? Has anyone tried going through the activation again?

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    TiVo has confirmed here that the broad sending of the email was an error; just ignore it (unless it otherwise is applicable to you).

18. GaryREM

GaryREM New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Well, the new box may have predated the refurbished boxes by a few weeks and they may be reloading the refurbs with a newer software release. I'm running 21.9.1.v14-USC-11 on my refurb with issues.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  19. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it could also be an activation issue that's only impacting a certain range of tsn's.

krkaufman likes this.